The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Hold.

Rick,

You have a picture for almost any issue, really like your posts on this forum and other(s). The hidden spoony trick is one to remember, I just try and kick in someone else's pile!
    Bob Stewart
    Central IL.

Thanks, Bob. I'm not much of a photographer, but keeping a little "point and shoot" camera on hand has made me appear a fair snap-shooter and lets me share some fun.

And in the interest of answering the "how to break a cigaring" dog question for those who feel they absolutely must, here's one possibility:
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    And then I posted 2 pictures of different dogs cigar-ing ducks. You own what you condone.

Evan
    But did the dogs drop the birds????
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    But did the dogs drop the birds????
    Didn't matter if they were dropped or not. The pics were posted in reply to all of the people that made the statement "I've never seen a dog cigar a duck". Well, now they have.

I'm thinking that's a little guy; but still a lizard. What did you do? Was he small enough you weren't concerned for the dog?

I would rather train around the urban moose any day. They aren't trying to figure out ways to convert my dog into lunch.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post

I'm thinking that's a little guy; but still a lizard. What did you do? Was he small enough you weren't concerned for the dog?

I would rather train around the urban moose any day. They aren't trying to figure out ways to convert my dog into lunch.
    Pretty sure that's what Rick meant about about the way to break a cigar hold "let the gator get em"
    Last edited by jd6400; 08-08-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Not really much to add, but a timely observation. I just walked in from working with my 2 year old who is getting ready to run Senior. We haven't had any ducks for quite some time,(actually he hasn't had any since last Sept) so I took him out for some simple doubles using our nice new ducks. He did great on both set ups, nice bird handling, perfect delivery, steady, blah, blah, blah. . . On the last return, he was actually holding the duck by the butt end. Yes it was a true "cigar" hold. He had been doing that some when tired with bumpers, but like everybody else I thought it no big deal. The next thing we did was a "walk up", a fairly new concept for him, but we were trying to do it like I understand the current tests do, with a very short breaking bird. He took off, I corrected with a sharp "no here" and brought him back. That was a little too much for him, next time he was steady, went when sent, but on return repeatedly dropped the bird. Now was he warning me on the last bird of the double, or was he just overreacting to the correction for the break? All I know is that, yes, I did see a dog cigar the duck, and shortly thereafter displayed some bad habits on delivery that he had not previously. I guess I can only watch close and make sure it does not become the norm. Right now I'm kind of leaning towards Evan and Tony's take on it.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post

Doubt he'd go much over 7', but they don't have to eat a dog in a single bite to make a mess. And about the time they hit 5 or so I start worrying. That photo was a fortunate fluke on multiple counts. I had the camera in hand because I planned on taking a shot of the dog coming off the far canal bank on his return, and I'd not seen the gator cruising our way in that "always safe" spot until the dog had been sent. Spotted the gator out of my peripheral vision just as he was submerging to take a shot and instinctively hollered and tried to throw the camera at it, which the camera's wrist strap foiled. But my antics still spooked the gator into arcing away, and when he showed again it was on the surface and plainly foiled his own self, as the dog was reaching the far bank:

On the dog's returned, I just stopped him where the initial photo posted above was taken, then handled him way the hey down the far levee and across to safety.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    The next thing we did was a "walk up", a fairly new concept for him, but we were trying to do it like I understand the current tests do, with a very short breaking bird. He took off, I corrected with a sharp "no here" and brought him back. That was a little too much for him, next time he was steady, went when sent, but on return repeatedly dropped the bird. Now was he warning me on the last bird of the double, or was he just overreacting to the correction for the break? All I know is that, yes, I did see a dog cigar the duck, and shortly thereafter displayed some bad habits on delivery that he had not previously. I guess I can only watch close and make sure it does not become the norm. Right now I'm kind of leaning towards Evan and Tony's take on it.
    Hard to imagine that being anything more significant than confusion over the correction's connection.

Rick, how would a 223 with a frangible bullet work? I know it won't penetrate the water but should turn anything behind what it does hit into mush for a few inches. Or is a 243 the medicine of choice?

I think either one of them would be better choices than a hand thrown point and shoot camera.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013