The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Don't Laugh) Serious but funny Force Fetch Question !

Default (Don't Laugh) Serious but funny Force Fetch Question !

Following Smartwork with my now 8 mo. BLF Force Fetch been going great with her from day one ! She transitioned to the ground very well, and we have been working on walking fetch the last couple of days with almost zero refusal to fetch, until yesterday !

I was working on a 3 bumper walking fetch with her, and started getting a refusal right off when going to the middle bumper, so of course I went back to the ear pinch and she picked it right up ! This continued for atleast 4 or 5 trips and she continued to refuse to fetch the middle bumper until reverting back to the ear pinch and she would pick it up then !

this is were the funny, (and serious ) comes in ! After the several refusals on the "same" bumper I noticed what I thought was mud (Been raining here the last few days) was actually a smudge of dog poop ! I guess it must have got on there at the begining of our session when throwing a few fun bumpers to get her working !

NOW !!!! I am thinking to myself well I know now why she wouldn't pick it up !!!! I wouldn't have either !!!!

I went and got another bumper to replace this one with, and moved to a diffent section of the yard, and we finished our session on a positive note, with her fetching all 3 bumpers without any refusals several times!

But last night, after not thinking much about it earlier after the session, It got me thinking although I wouldn't pick it up either is she really 100 % Force Fetched if she refused to pick up a bumper with dog poop on it ????
    I mean from my understanding, and maybe I am reading into this way to much !!!! If she was completely Force Fetched she will pick up "ANYTHING" I ask her too !!!

What's ya'lls feelings on this ? Up until this one issue she has been doing awesome ! But in all seriousness Is my pup not as complete with her force fetch as I thought ???

Quote Originally Posted by flipinnpitchin View Post
    What's ya'lls feelings on this ? Up until this one issue she has been doing awesome ! But in all seriousness Is my pup not as complete with her force fetch as I thought ???
    speaking as a chessie owner who, when doing a cow chip drill had a dog fetch the cow poop! (grain of salt time) if you want to see how well your FF went, drop your car keys.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by flipinnpitchin View Post
    Following Smartwork with my now 8 mo. BLF Force Fetch been going great with her from day one ! She transitioned to the ground very well, and we have been working on walking fetch the last couple of days with almost zero refusal to fetch, until yesterday !

I was working on a 3 bumper walking fetch with her, and started getting a refusal right off when going to the middle bumper, so of course I went back to the ear pinch and she picked it right up ! This continued for atleast 4 or 5 trips and she continued to refuse to fetch the middle bumper until reverting back to the ear pinch and she would pick it up then !

this is were the funny, (and serious ) comes in ! After the several refusals on the "same" bumper I noticed what I thought was mud (Been raining here the last few days) was actually a smudge of dog poop ! I guess it must have got on there at the begining of our session when throwing a few fun bumpers to get her working !

NOW !!!! I am thinking to myself well I know now why she wouldn't pick it up !!!! I wouldn't have either !!!!

I went and got another bumper to replace this one with, and moved to a diffent section of the yard, and we finished our session on a positive note, with her fetching all 3 bumpers without any refusals several times!

But last night, after not thinking much about it earlier after the session, It got me thinking although I wouldn't pick it up either is she really 100 % Force Fetched if she refused to pick up a bumper with dog poop on it ????
    I mean from my understanding, and maybe I am reading into this way to much !!!! If she was completely Force Fetched she will pick up "ANYTHING" I ask her too !!!

THATS NO EXCUSE!!!!Just kidding haaaaa....has happened to me with several dogs. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Not surprising, lot of dogs will do that. However is this the first time she has refused during the whole process or just during walking fetch?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

No We have had a few refusals during the whole force fetch process, but not many ! She seemed to pick it up real well since day one ! Most of her refusals came at the very start of FF, and then had a few at first when we started single bumper walking fetch, but she transfered very well to 3 bumpers, and yesterday was the first refusals since going to 3 bumpers !

(PAUL) Why you ask ??? Is there some concerns ???

I've never agreed with people using a variety of objects to force on. Use what the dog will be expected to fetch. I would never ask a dog to fetch keys... What's next shoes,boots. I did however force fetch my last dog on 12 oz cans where she would fetch out of a cooler filled with ice water. Waste of time but was a nice conversation piece.

keys drop when holding sack of bier... fetch
    hat blows off head and starts cross field... fetch
    decoys in deep muck ... fetch
    tools drop in snow while hugging trees ... fetch
    I am an odd item fan. Them service dog folks do know a trick or two that we all can use

but a warm welcome to the RTF Jchamberlain
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Jchamberlain View Post
    I've never agreed with people using a variety of objects to force on. Use what the dog will be expected to fetch. I would never ask a dog to fetch keys... What's next shoes,boots. I did however force fetch my last dog on 12 oz cans where she would fetch out of a cooler filled with ice water. Waste of time but was a nice conversation piece.
    Welcome to RTF JC,

i do it the way Ken Bora does as well. The other day I was holding a garage door up and dropped a wrench. Luckily the dog was able to pick it back up and hand it to me. It was quite handy. I have used it similarly when carrying handfuls of items and something, anything falls.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

A dog that will fetch anything will fetch anything.
    A dog that will fetch one thing, will fetch....well....one thing.

Last edited by badbullgator; 08-07-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Welcome to RTF JC,

i do it the way Ken Bora does as well. The other day I was holding a garage door up and dropped a wrench. Luckily the dog was able to pick it back up and hand it to me. It was quite handy. I have used it similarly when carrying handfuls of items and something, anything falls.
    I'm getting older.....or lazy; anything I drop is fair game for the fetch command
    HR True Grits Finer Edge