The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picky Eater on my Hands ??? Likes Cheap Food !!!

Default Picky Eater on my Hands ??? Likes Cheap Food !!!

My 8mo old BLF has been a very Picky Eater since day one ! I have tried all the advice of picking up her food within 10 mins. and adding a little this and that to her food !

I have had her on Euk Large breed pup, and she seemed to hate it, and had runny stools, so tried 4Health puppy, and much the same ! Now she's on Taste of the Wild puppy, and she just picks at this food as well !

She is not skinny at all, and vet always compliments us on her shiny coat, and her great build, and always says I have her weight perfect ! (Trust me we been to the vet's alot )

What gets me is I can take her to visit at my father's farm, and over to my brother's and she will gobble up there dogs food !
    My father always leaves food out for his Great Perinese and feeds them Co-Op brand, and she loves it !

My brother feeds his dog "Retriever" brand from TSC and if I have her over there during his dogs feeding time she does everything she can to get in the bag, but will turn her nose away to the Taste of the Wild I feed her ! I don't get it !

We also have a older Yellow Lab (Family Pet) that gets feed Pedigree Large Breed, and she loves his left overs !

I mean I have attempted to try diffrent brands with her, and formulas but she seems to hate the expensive stuff ???? The only brand I have not tried on her yet is Pro Plan !

She eats but not alot ! I have tried to slowly increase her food, and she will eat exactly 2 cups, and leave the rest, Trust me I have measured and it will be the exact amount extra I gave her ! Never had a dog so weird about food !

Not sure were to go from here !

if you are happy with the food brand you picked and you vet thinks the dog is a good size just carry on. As for the snacking at your relations. Dog, like people like to try something they do not get at home.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

My oldest was the same way, after about 3 days she started to eat what I put down for her. She was very picky and I got tired of going to the store and buying 5lbs of this or that.
    Some of the cheaper food have flavor additives and maybe that's what she's going for. Decide which food and stick with it, she'll eventually eat what is put down for her.
    Now if she is being stubborn and goes longer than a few days mix a spoon full of plain yogurt to the food.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

My old vet told me once that he had a dog that only did well on cheaper(grocery store brand) dog foods. I guess if she does well on it what can it hurt? Mine is on PPP Sport. 2 cups a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Quack View Post
    My old vet told me once that he had a dog that only did well on cheaper(grocery store brand) dog foods. I guess if she does well on it what can it hurt? Mine is on PPP Sport. 2 cups a day.
    She's getting stuff that is not really good for her. ie, would you preform better on a diet of McDonalds or a nice home cooked fresh meal?
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Where do you store your food? If you keep it in a container thats not cleaned when its empty, it will grow bacteria. Best to keep it in the bag inside a container. Some dogs will eat it with the bacteria and get the green apple sidestep, other dogs won't even eat it. You may also wanna try another bag of the same brand. Occasionally there will be a bad batch of food, no matter who the manufacturer.
    Bob Foster

Quote Originally Posted by flipinnpitchin View Post
    My 8mo old BLF has been a very Picky Eater since day one ! I have tried all the advice of picking up her food within 10 mins. and adding a little this and that to her food !

I have had her on Euk Large breed pup, and she seemed to hate it, and had runny stools, so tried 4Health puppy, and much the same ! Now she's on Taste of the Wild puppy, and she just picks at this food as well !

She is not skinny at all, and vet always compliments us on her shiny coat, and her great build, and always says I have her weight perfect ! (Trust me we been to the vet's alot )

What gets me is I can take her to visit at my father's farm, and over to my brother's and she will gobble up there dogs food !
    My father always leaves food out for his Great Perinese and feeds them Co-Op brand, and she loves it !

My brother feeds his dog "Retriever" brand from TSC and if I have her over there during his dogs feeding time she does everything she can to get in the bag, but will turn her nose away to the Taste of the Wild I feed her ! I don't get it !

We also have a older Yellow Lab (Family Pet) that gets feed Pedigree Large Breed, and she loves his left overs !

I mean I have attempted to try diffrent brands with her, and formulas but she seems to hate the expensive stuff ???? The only brand I have not tried on her yet is Pro Plan !

She eats but not alot ! I have tried to slowly increase her food, and she will eat exactly 2 cups, and leave the rest, Trust me I have measured and it will be the exact amount extra I gave her ! Never had a dog so weird about food !

Not sure were to go from here !

The dog in my avatar was the exact same way. I tried just about every higher end brand(what I consider higher end, anyway) and he would eat it for a couple days and then not touch it. Now, give him pedigree and he would eat till it was gone. Like you, I just didn't get it either and just continued to feed him pedigree.

You can evaluate ingredients from here to next Tuesday, but if your dog won't eat the food, it isn't going to do him any good. Make sure there aren't any medical issues going on (I have a dog with IBD and he was a picky eater for 2 years until we figured out his problem,) then follow the instructions for foiling a picky eater. If nothing else works, feed him what he'll eat.

Back in the 70's, our dogs all ate Purina Dog Chow and nobody questioned the ingredients. They lived normal life spans and did o.k. Walmart sells a LOT of Ole Roy... and those dogs don't curl up and die from it. Athletic dogs benefit from the best nutrition possible, but sometimes I think we really over do it trying to decide what food to feed.
    Pam
    Sunshine Joliet Jake, "Jake," SH, RN, CGC, WDX
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe" JH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

My girl is a very picky eater too. I have switched between several high quality foods. She eats real well at first, then towards the end of each bag she will get picky. I started adding a teaspoon of this or that for taste to get her to eat. My vet suggested that I pick a high quality food and stick with it. Either choose something to add every meal or (preferably) don't add anything. He said that dogs will generally eat whatever you give them if they are hungry enough. Adding a little of this or that to get them to eat is only conditioning the picky eating behavior.

not my dog. He is a vet. didn't argue
    Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    She's getting stuff that is not really good for her. ie, would you preform better on a diet of McDonalds or a nice home cooked fresh meal?