The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Fish Oil Stomach Problems

Default Fish Oil Stomach Problems

I used to give my pup a fish oil pill before breakfast every day. She had some loose stool so I lowered to 2-3 times a week and that helped. I noticed that every now and then she would start to lick her butt like she was trying to clean herself. After this she would pant and breathe normal and the smell was atrocious, it would literally clear a room. I thought maybe the loose stool was making her anal gland clog up and she was trying to relieve it. I stopped the fish oil pills completely several months ago and have only noticed her lick her butt once since then. Anyone else experience something like this? I would like to give her the pills again, I think her coat looked a little better than it does now, but I can't stand the smell. She is 13 months now so maybe she can handle it better? Thanks.

Try krill oil instead.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

...what a cute pup!!!
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Banned

If you look at real scientific data, there is little support for using fish oil for anything, including dogs with skin problems. Most of the benefits are created by the companies that sell fish oil and they get recycled by the internet as cold hard fact. For humans we know that fish oil doesn't really help prevent cardiovascular disease and it may increases the risk of prostate cancer. In dogs with skin issues there is very little support for using it therapeutically. It is also a very volatile oil that can deplete Vitamin E very quickly in the body. Just use a food with a good amount of fish and fish oil and skip the supplements.

Interesting. Do you dispute its anti-inflammatory properties? There seems to be huge evidence that it reduces inflammation at the cellular level.
    My boy is on it because he has been Lyme positive, and there is evidence that Lyme disease can cause chronic inflammation. Therefore, some vets are recommending that any dog who has been Lyme positive take Omega 3 supplements to help reduce any inflammation. One of the real dangers of Lyme with labs and goldens is lyme nephritis, the chronic inflammation of the kidneys caused by an immune response to antibodies to the lyme.
    Because dogs metabolize krill oil about 5 times better than fish oil, we use the krill instead.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    If you look at real scientific data, there is little support for using fish oil for anything, including dogs with skin problems. Most of the benefits are created by the companies that sell fish oil and they get recycled by the internet as cold hard fact. For humans we know that fish oil doesn't really help prevent cardiovascular disease and it may increases the risk of prostate cancer. In dogs with skin issues there is very little support for using it therapeutically. It is also a very volatile oil that can deplete Vitamin E very quickly in the body. Just use a food with a good amount of fish and fish oil and skip the supplements.

Barb Gibson
    with
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Interesting. Do you dispute its anti-inflammatory properties? There seems to be huge evidence that it reduces inflammation at the cellular level.
    My boy is on it because he has been Lyme positive, and there is evidence that Lyme disease can cause chronic inflammation. Therefore, some vets are recommending that any dog who has been Lyme positive take Omega 3 supplements to help reduce any inflammation. One of the real dangers of Lyme with labs and goldens is lyme nephritis, the chronic inflammation of the kidneys caused by an immune response to antibodies to the lyme.
    Because dogs metabolize krill oil about 5 times better than fish oil, we use the krill instead.

Barb my guy tests pos for lyme (did when I rescued him) , which krill do you use, amt? and where do you get it?
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Erik he gets 1000 mg a day (in one dose). I order it from Puritan's Pride online, www.puritan.com, their item #29545. I used to give him 500 mg, twice a day, but they discontinued the 500 mg pills.
    I went with this one because it also contains a high amount of astaxanthin.

Barb Gibson
    with
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Thanks Barb for the help!
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX