RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Looking for FT/HT clubs in Arizona

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Annette 
#1 ·
My family and I will be moving from Alaska to Tucson in January and I'm looking for FT and or HT clubs in the general area. Also would like to hook up with a local teaining group as well. Any suggestions? Would certainly be willing to drive a couple of hours if none in that area.
Carol

#2 ·
Alaska to Arizona... you don't go in for subtle life-style changes, huh? I would like to read someone answer this thread as well. We are gradually positioning ourselves to retire and we will be in AZ during the milder months.

#4 ·
Thanks Arnie! I'm actually running a NAHRA senior test with my older lab this Saturday so I can continue running him there. Good to know. I already have an HRCH title on my 5 y.o. male and they run HRC events at that club as well but how about field trials? I'm running all age stakes with the 5 y.o. And will have a derby dog late next summer. Any clubs out that way run field trials?

#6 ·
Thanks Arnie! I'm actually running a NAHRA senior test with my older lab this Saturday so I can continue running him there. Good to know. I already have an HRCH title on my 5 y.o. male and they run HRC events at that club as well but how about field trials? I'm running all age stakes with the 5 y.o. And will have a derby dog late next summer. Any clubs out that way run field trials?
Southern Arizona and Phoenix Retriever club host field trials in Niland Calif. they are usually the first two trials of the year in February while the rest of the country is still in snow

#5 ·
I'm pretty new to the Hunt Test game and I've never run a Field Trial. I have attended a couple of tests that Copper State hosted. That's how I know they're great people. I'd contact them. I'm sure they'd point you in the right direction.

#8 ·
Patty purchased some land in Niland, right near Andy Kahn (formerly J. Vollstedt's place,) Mickey Rawlins and the Erwins also have some property there which is where they hold the trials....

Phoenix Retriever Club also hosts a trial in either Nov after the National or in early Dec

#10 ·
I will be glad to see you at Patti. I train with her. I am a a member of the Phoenix club PRC. We have a trial the end of OCt and another in Jan. SARC also has a trial or 2 which Patti usually Chairs I tried to send tho to you before but lost it before I finished. The Phoenix club has only a few active member but thankfully the trialers in Niland help us a lot. There is no club activity in Phoenix as no training grounds. Some of our dogs are with Patti. See you in Niland!

#9 ·
AK, they'll have probably 6 trials in Niland during the year.Bon mentioned two. San Diego usually has trials there too. Patti is a good choice for your pup.Glad to hear your on the team.
Bon, did you get the PM I sent you a while ago?

Jeff

#11 ·
Carol, be prepared to do little or no training 6 months of the year. It's simply too hot: even the water is hot. I lived in Phoenix for 20+ years. The members of Copperstate that I've spoken to live in the Phoenix area... the only training they get during the warmest months of the year is driving up to Flagstaff to train on the weekends. Winter is great, though, and the dove hunting is tremendous.

#12 ·
Thanks Pam. I'm kind of already used to not much training for 6 months or so during the winter months here in Alaska. It's just too cold and the water is frozen as well. The only thing we do here is parking lot type drills and occasionally marks if no ice and not too much snow. Thanks for the info. At least my Cosmo pup will be in good hands while I get settled in and find places to train.

#13 ·
Pam is absolutely right. Even at 5 am it can still be 90+. Get a little relief during the monsoon . It can be cloudy and breezy but also bad storms. All the pros in Niland head to the NW from end of March to sometime in April. There are 2 other pros besides Patti that own training grounds in Niland. They are Jimmy Gonia and John Henninger & Amie Duke.

#14 ·
As an FYI Patti has owned 88 acres there for over 5 years and has very nice grounds there.

Hope to meet ya'll some time.

Jeff

#16 ·
Patti called me this afternoon. Pup will go to her the end of this month. She will be in Oregon to start. I guess Niland is still to hot to train right now. Never experienced a monsoon before or flash floods. Hopefully the residential areas around Tucson don't get too flooded! Anyone know the best way to acclimate dogs to extreme heat. I have an 8 1/2 y.o. And a 5 y.o. Chocolate males who have lived in Alaska their whole lives. Good thing we are moving there in the winter.

#17 ·
Carol my 9 year old lab
spend all day in house in air conditioning. We walk early in the morning 5-7am. Go out for airing and back in. I have 2 runs with tops to keep out bob cat and other wild life. There are insulated houses but still too hot Use from late OCt if not in Niland to about June . Mostly roads get flooded but not for long after rain stops. Winter months it is perfect.
You will adjust. Remember dry heat except for monsoon when it gets humid. I moved here from San Fran bay area and am surviving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.