The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for FT/HT clubs in Arizona

Carol, be prepared to do little or no training 6 months of the year. It's simply too hot: even the water is hot. I lived in Phoenix for 20+ years. The members of Copperstate that I've spoken to live in the Phoenix area... the only training they get during the warmest months of the year is driving up to Flagstaff to train on the weekends. Winter is great, though, and the dove hunting is tremendous.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Thanks Pam. I'm kind of already used to not much training for 6 months or so during the winter months here in Alaska. It's just too cold and the water is frozen as well. The only thing we do here is parking lot type drills and occasionally marks if no ice and not too much snow. Thanks for the info. At least my Cosmo pup will be in good hands while I get settled in and find places to train.

Pam is absolutely right. Even at 5 am it can still be 90+. Get a little relief during the monsoon . It can be cloudy and breezy but also bad storms. All the pros in Niland head to the NW from end of March to sometime in April. There are 2 other pros besides Patti that own training grounds in Niland. They are Jimmy Gonia and John Henninger & Amie Duke.
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty

As an FYI Patti has owned 88 acres there for over 5 years and has very nice grounds there.

Hope to meet ya'll some time.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Is the water around Payson AZ cool enough to train on in the hot months?

Patti called me this afternoon. Pup will go to her the end of this month. She will be in Oregon to start. I guess Niland is still to hot to train right now. Never experienced a monsoon before or flash floods. Hopefully the residential areas around Tucson don't get too flooded! Anyone know the best way to acclimate dogs to extreme heat. I have an 8 1/2 y.o. And a 5 y.o. Chocolate males who have lived in Alaska their whole lives. Good thing we are moving there in the winter.

Carol my 9 year old lab
    spend all day in house in air conditioning. We walk early in the morning 5-7am. Go out for airing and back in. I have 2 runs with tops to keep out bob cat and other wild life. There are insulated houses but still too hot Use from late OCt if not in Niland to about June . Mostly roads get flooded but not for long after rain stops. Winter months it is perfect.
    You will adjust. Remember dry heat except for monsoon when it gets humid. I moved here from San Fran bay area and am surviving.
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty