The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Finley leaving on a blind before being sent?

Default Why is Finley leaving on a blind before being sent?

This problem seems to keep rearing its ugly head more often this last week as I've lengthened distance to pile. (~50 yds now) I do have bumpers to the side trying to get back to double T. I had started it previously but had to back up a bit because kept wanting to go to side bumpers.
    I say dead bird and when he focuses in where the bumpers are I say good and as I start to put hand down he's gone before I say back and he is going balls to the wall to the back pile. Obviously I don't want to discourage the drive but I need to control it.
    It's not every time buts its happening more often.
    To try to fix this breaking I've tried to:
    I say (loudly no) stop him and have him come back to heel, when he sits at heel, Ill say sit then nick.
    I've also tried stopping him by giving him a whistle sit, nick and then called back to heel.
    Clearly this isn't working cuz he kinda woofed, yelled in frustration tonight as I stopped him. I felt like a tub of crap.
    I don't know if its an escape behavior or why he doing this.

I moved up to simplify (~25yds) and he stayed til sent just fine. What the Sam Hill am I doing wrong?!?

Thanks, Maria never trained a dog to handle chick

well think about the fact that (assuming you just came out of FTP). all you've been teaching is GO...then if you're giving any collar pressure like you did with "sit" in this instance(maybe he's associating that with- I gotta get away from mom and get to that pile) since that is what the collar pressure has been meaning as of late. he knows whats coming. my last one was bad about leaving the moment i said "gooood". I slowed down. It got better. but now as she's getting more confidence on her blinds its starting to come back a little.

Thanks for response Blaine, I have tried to slow down down, but maybe even more. He has been force to the pile recently, that is a good thought. I will really try try to slow down. Let him sit there for awhile after I say dead bird before putting hand down?? I worry about him starting to bug.

well im far from a pro. Im just answering why i think your dog is doing that. Naturally wanting to go since that's what you've been telling him to do. So he's just beating you to the punch so to speak.

i had the same problem with mine when we were going through FTP and even a few sessions afterwards. what i did was instead of using the collar to correct her to sit i used the heeling stick and by doing that and slowing down helped me alot with the leaving before being sent. it normally went sit stick sit dead bird, good, back and if at anypoint i saw her butt come off the ground before back she would get a tap with the stick to get the butt back down on the ground.

Try not giving all the cues ;dead bird ,good and so on. Give a sit command ,let him focus then BACK. By your description he knows the drill and may be building anxiety with all the verbal cues and just saying the he!! with it I gota go to that pile.

Its like saying ready ,set ,go .He has seen the drill enough to know the setup and is leaving on "set" (good or dead bird) instead of "go" (back).
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Raise your standards. Dogs are great anticipators. He is just anticipating your send and jumping the gun. This is very common and not a big deal. Go through all your cues, dead, good, hand down and count to at least 3 and then send. If dog breaks, stick correction, likely to the breast( hitting his butt will tend to push him forward). To increase the steadines simlply require him to sit for a longer count once your hand is down. Don't make this s bigger deal than it needs to be. Just a small sit issue that is easily corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
    This problem seems to keep rearing its ugly head more often this last week as I've lengthened distance to pile. (~50 yds now) I do have bumpers to the side trying to get back to double T. I had started it previously but had to back up a bit because kept wanting to go to side bumpers.
    I say dead bird and when he focuses in where the bumpers are I say good and as I start to put hand down he's gone before I say back and he is going balls to the wall to the back pile. Obviously I don't want to discourage the drive but I need to control it.
    It's not every time buts its happening more often.
    To try to fix this breaking I've tried to:
    I say (loudly no) stop him and have him come back to heel, when he sits at heel, Ill say sit then nick.
    I've also tried stopping him by giving him a whistle sit, nick and then called back to heel.
    Clearly this isn't working cuz he kinda woofed, yelled in frustration tonight as I stopped him. I felt like a tub of crap.
    I don't know if its an escape behavior or why he doing this.

I moved up to simplify (~25yds) and he stayed til sent just fine. What the Sam Hill am I doing wrong?!?

Thanks, Maria never trained a dog to handle chick
    Is he just taking off when you have him sitting at the "line", or is he taking off on one of your verbal cues?

Mix in some sends from a front finish and say sit as you put your hand in. No e-collar pressure here! He's just trying to be a good boy. Sounds like your forcing was good. Don't ruin it now by confusing him with the e-collar. You should have a pinch collar and long line on the dog. I like to step on it so he doesn't see my hands on the line. If he moves too soon he gets auto corrected. I like to keep the line short enough that he can't really get out of position without correction. Won't take long and he'll wait to be sent.

Don't stop him and call him back. Prevent the infraction.
    Darrin Greene

Use your 25 foot lead on him stand on it when he breaks be ready for the jolt if he doesn't break let loose of it