The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Finley leaving on a blind before being sent?

I am inexperienced as well so take this with a grain of salt and maybe someone with more experience can comment about this.
    When I initially read it I was thinking that instead of nicking him on the sit, I would nick him on the here when you call him back. Seems like that would eliminate the dog wanting to leave your side prematurely.
    Like I said just a thought. Have at it everyone.

thanks for the replies to this post. They make sense.
    Last edited by Jeannie Greenlee; 08-08-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie Greenlee View Post
    I am inexperienced as well so take this with a grain of salt and maybe someone with more experience can comment about this.
    When I initially read it I was thinking that instead of nicking him on the sit, I would nick him on the here when you call him back. Seems like that would eliminate the dog wanting to leave your side prematurely.
    Like I said just a thought. Have at it everyone.
    You want to do what you can to avoid the recall IMHO here. He has good momentum and we don't want to squander that with confusion or making him worry about being called back with pressure.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    You want to do what you can to avoid the recall IMHO here. He has good momentum and we don't want to squander that with confusion or making him worry about being called back with pressure.
    I agree with Darrin ...No pressure on the recall ...The dog is just out of balance in his training ...too much go and not enough stay ....that is what forcing the dog to go does ...Sit is where I would apply the pressure...When the dog will not go ,you will see the other side of too much pressure on one command...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

I recently ran into this situation. I went back and worked on the traffic cop drill by Bill Hillman. Now it's primary use is for steadying a dog. I modified it a little bit but I didn't want Parker to think he could just go and stopping him wasn't that easy. It has worked wonders for us and he still has his crazy drive for the bumper.

Please don't think that is what you have to do, its just what worked for me. This is a crucial step in handling your dog, do what works for you and him together.
    OWNED BY:
    Longhorn Lacey's Boomerang "Boomer"
    CH. Brio's Jollycurl to Bravo First Over Under SH WCQ "Parker"
    Brio's Bravo to the Lookout "Cora"

Kyle Crump

Blaine, Krazy, Skinny, Kpolley, Darrin, Steve.

I knew I had to do something to prevent the problem rather then trying to get him to understand why I was stopping him!

All Your advice is golden, never thought about using the heeling stick, especially on his chest. I am worried I was starting to sour his enthusiasm to go by using the collar on him because Darrin he truly trying to be a good boy. I know I need to slow down now.

I really dislike using the rope because I'm so uncoordinated with it but if the heeling stick and slowing down doesn't stop him I will do what I have to do with the rope. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to...

Thank you all for your help! Jeanne even your suggestion was a learning curve for me because now I know not to do that! Ckrumby I'm unfamiliar with Hillman way of training but I've heard it is really well. I'll try to catch up on him.

I will update in a few to let you know what worked for Me and Fin.

My best regards people, I'm thankful for your thoughts and suggestions, Maria

Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post

Is he just taking off when you have him sitting at the "line", or is he taking off on one of your verbal cues?
    He books when he sees my hand coming in, not before

Quote Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
    He books when he sees my hand coming in, not before
    I kinda missed that one but one thing to do is... don't put your hand in for while...
    Darrin Greene

I kinda missed that one but one thing to do is... don't put your hand in for while...
    Right Darrin, I was going to suggest same.
    When you do go back to using hand do not use it like a ready set go sort of thing. The hand in is meant to be a cue dog is looking where you want them to not a cue to go. So put hand in but delay send some.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

hey at least its better off than the alternative. Not leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Right Darrin, I was going to suggest same.
    When you do go back to using hand do not use it like a ready set go sort of thing. The hand in is meant to be a cue dog is looking where you want them to not a cue to go. So put hand in but delay send some.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaineT View Post
    hey at least its better off than the alternative. Not leaving.
    Could it be that simple?? I guess I really never knew why the hand was used. I had thought was to try have the dog to have a front sight and rear sight to better zero in on target such as you do with a rifle. But this is not long range. So great, I will have my heeling stick ready and no hand involved for awhile.

Appreciate the thoughts! Maria
    Last edited by uplandbird; 08-08-2013 at 10:19 PM.