The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun Shy Help!

freezeland.... I shot around the dog before I ever picked him up from the trainer and was no issues with him there. I do know the dogs history and was around him quite a bit before purchasing and bringing him home. I have nothing but FULL trust in the trainer I got him from and know that this is just an issue I am going to have to over come. I believe ear issue might have something to do with it has had a little head shaking back and forth I have noticed earlier the day I shot and yesterday making him a little skittish at any loud noise. I have full faith that with some work he will be ready for season. Maybe not teal season in less than a month but the full season shouldnt be a problem. Sorry dont have alot of time today to reply to everyones post but I am thankful for everyones imput and will just take it slow and reintroduce him to the gun fire.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Maybe you could have an older dog present when you shoot and start at distances farther away at first. If it is hunting you do then still use the shotgun but put in primers. Also asking assistance from your trainer is a wise move. Good luck to you.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Did the gun you use have porting or ported chokes in it?

A little update. After all of the advice on here and with speaking with the trainer I started last thursday evening just holding the gun with me while doing some happy bumpers and basic marking around the yard. He was a little hesitant the first day or so with no shooting and have continued to do the same with holding the gun while working him. Took him to the trainer yesterday and he did awesome barley flinched and stayed rock steady next to me while shooting around him. Shot some poppers and light loads along with some live flyers and he did awesome. Will continue to keep the gun around during training and shoot over him every few days to keep him used to it. Thanks for all your help on here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brettttka View Post
    A little update. After all of the advice on here and with speaking with the trainer I started last thursday evening just holding the gun with me while doing some happy bumpers and basic marking around the yard. He was a little hesitant the first day or so with no shooting and have continued to do the same with holding the gun while working him. Took him to the trainer yesterday and he did awesome barley flinched and stayed rock steady next to me while shooting around him. Shot some poppers and light loads along with some live flyers and he did awesome. Will continue to keep the gun around during training and shoot over him every few days to keep him used to it. Thanks for all your help on here!!
    Way to go, I always say that birds will cure any dog of gun shyness if done the right way. My dogs go nuts when the gun comes out.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Yeah dont think the noise was what was bothering him was maybe just the gun itself. With help from the trainer we worked thru it and he stayed steady like I had been shooting around him for years. He is a completly different level of intensity when there are birds around!!! Makes me excited to see how he does come duck season.

Live flyers...............Got to love live flyers..........Nice job.

I still stand by my statement that I would not put this dog in a duck blind with 6 guns on opening day. Ain't worth it. Good Luck. Don

Yeah dont think the noise was what was bothering him was maybe just the gun itself. With help from the trainer we worked thru it and he stayed steady like I had been shooting around him for years. He is a completly different level of intensity when there are birds around!!!

Makes me excited to see how he does come duck season.
    FWIW, have had a hand in working with some truely gunshy dawgs, (a few that never really completely recovered). I'd not get a false sense of security with this, as different scenarios that can unfold during duckseason-

Not to make a great big deal out of it, but, have seen owners who believe their dog has "recovered" when all the while the dog was simply only distracted from gunfire.

Would be careful with multiple gunners all at one time in the blind, even a month or so from now, I'd make darn sure he's stable with birds to associate gunfire to and stable without birds to associate it with- such as perhaps another duckhunter in a blind nearby that's not visible.

Keep the dog active in the hunt if possible, so that gunfire, when it arrives comes as no surprize as he's looking out and perhaps sees approaching birds.

Would continue to train objectively, progressively, and optimistically!
    Hope it all goes well!
    B.J. Clark.
    (Swamp)
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Thanks for the input. I dont know that he was truly shy of the gun fire but mostly the gun. His tendencies last week he was hunching away from me before the trigger was pulled not after the shot. I will continue to work with him and introduce him to hunting in a smaller scenario before I throw him in a blind with 5 guns for sure.

Thanks for the input. I dont know that he was truly shy of the gun fire but mostly the gun. His tendencies last week he was hunching away from me before the trigger was pulled not after the shot. I will continue to work with him and introduce him to hunting in a smaller scenario before I throw him in a blind with 5 guns for sure.
    Get a couple gunners out to the sides, like 30-40 yard and have them shoot. If you decide to load him in a blind with 5 other guys, you better be sure you're not shooting and have complete control.
    You get a good flock in and the way you see it now may end up with the wheels falling off the bus. Like said it's not worth it, you could undo everything you've accomplished so far and with your season lasting into January, you can get a few more months in on training than taking him on opening day. We all want to hunt with our dogs, but there will be plenty of time once they are proven retrievers.
    Ask me how I know.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.