The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Relying too much on her nose on marks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    There is a simple drill that solves this problem. It is called calibration singles. You need a helper for this drill and a lot of white bumpers. Take the dog out to a low cover area and mark off 100 yards at 20 yard increments. Have your helper start at the closest station off to the side of the line and have them throw onto the line and send on the mark. Keep moving the BB back (you are stationary) and once they have reached the farthest station start checking down. It sounds simple but a ton of concepts are taught. Driving through old falls, depth perception, and checking down on marks. You would be surprised how much trouble your dog will have with this drill at first. Have your BB help and keep repeating until your dog has got is. This will take several sessions so don't be in a hurry. When you are done, you will have a marking fool on your hands. Good luck.
    What do you mean by "start checking down"? Does the BB reverse direction and come back in at 20 yard increments?
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    He's only talking about one side, But I thought is good for this discussion.

Keith
    I'm assuming you mean to throw bumper to the right back up throw to the left.... correct? I do this drill to stretch out and check down when thrown in reverse order...Use a flyer or bird at the long station before doing the check down part....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    What do you mean by "start checking down"? Does the BB reverse direction and come back in at 20 yard increments?
    Yes that's right, thus teaching the dog check down marks all in one drill. They (and I don't know who they is) say that this drill really teaches depth perception. I believe it's probably true from the dogs that I have gone through with it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    I'm assuming you mean to throw bumper to the right back up throw to the left.... correct? I do this drill to stretch out and check down when thrown in reverse order...Use a flyer or bird at the long station before doing the check down part....Steve S
    You assume right Steve.
    I know a few trainer that only use one side of the latter, mostly when they are stretching the dog out past 150+ yds. I use my original suggestion more, because I work mostly by myself.

I think as long as the method or drill can teach the dog to hold the line and check up in the fall area, in all winds and field conditions.

The trainer is good to go.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    You assume right Steve.
    I know a few trainer that only use one side of the latter, mostly when they are stretching the dog out past 150+ yds. I use my original suggestion more, because I work mostly by myself.

I think as long as the method or drill can teach the dog to hold the line and check up in the fall area, in all winds and field conditions.

The trainer is good to go.

Keith
    Agreed ..Just looking for some better understanding ...This ole mind needs some help at times ...My recall is not as good as it once was....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Running cross wind blinds will also contribute to the solution here.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Cassity View Post
    What Julie said x2
    Carol has a drill in her book that I used to solve this problem, though I don't think it was the intended use. The Looking Glass drill on pp 94-95. If you don't find her book, Bobby George wrote one years ago with Cotton Pershall that has the same drill.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill