The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Relying too much on her nose on marks

Quote Originally Posted by jluther View Post
    Big white bumpers with flags attached, landing in very short cover. Get her using her eyes again--which will also help her learn to fight crosswinds.
    I am not the dog trainer and I seldom (if ever) give an opinion. But now I am. jluther is right. She needs a refresher course on using her eyes. White stickman to remind her it's out there, farther out than what she thinks. White bumpers with flags attached, dead ducks with white streamers attached to legs. If you are training with someone throwing for you, keep them out in white and visible. Have them hey-hey and throw a second bumper or duck if she looks like she is going to break down and go into hunt mode.

As I said, I do not train our dogs, but this is what I have seen done that works.

Using only a winger? Don't have a white stick man? Hang a white shirt on the winger.

Helen
    Last edited by helencalif; 08-08-2013 at 03:11 PM.

3 white T-shirts, 3 shirt hangers, and 3 plastic step-in fence posts = three stickmen. My apologies, sponsors.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

The dog is just following the HIllman puppy video...learn to use their nose ...not their eyes....All the info about using streamers and in short grass is your solution to the problem ..Lengthen them out slowly...Dogs have to learn to use their eyes, and trust in them ...They are born with the instinct to use the nose from birth...when they can't see their nose in front of their face....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

[QUOTE=Cyclone;1133774]I have a 2 year old that takes nice initial lines on marks, but then slowly angles downwind and relies too much on her nose. She sometimes starts to hunt 20 yds or more downwind of the area of the fall, and ends up with a big hunt, with her nose in the air the whole time. This is mainly an issue with cross winds and marks >80 yds. Happens on land and water, particularly marks that are land-water-land. At first I was happy when she learned to use her nose, but now she seems to have become too reliant on it.

I'm worried that if I handle her to get her back on line, it will create popping. But not sure what else I can do when she is 40 yds from the line and starts to angle downwind and away from the area of the fall. Any thoughts?[/QUOT

This is the part of the OP that I focused on. IMO it dose not look like the dog is breaking down and hunting. I think that the dog is just fading with the wind.

Keith

There is a simple drill that solves this problem. It is called calibration singles. You need a helper for this drill and a lot of white bumpers. Take the dog out to a low cover area and mark off 100 yards at 20 yard increments. Have your helper start at the closest station off to the side of the line and have them throw onto the line and send on the mark. Keep moving the BB back (you are stationary) and once they have reached the farthest station start checking down. It sounds simple but a ton of concepts are taught. Driving through old falls, depth perception, and checking down on marks. You would be surprised how much trouble your dog will have with this drill at first. Have your BB help and keep repeating until your dog has got is. This will take several sessions so don't be in a hurry. When you are done, you will have a marking fool on your hands. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    There is a simple drill that solves this problem. It is called calibration singles. You need a helper for this drill and a lot of white bumpers. Take the dog out to a low cover area and mark off 100 yards at 20 yard increments. Have your helper start at the closest station off to the side of the line and have them throw onto the line and send on the mark. Keep moving the BB back (you are stationary) and once they have reached the farthest station start checking down. It sounds simple but a ton of concepts are taught. Driving through old falls, depth perception, and checking down on marks. You would be surprised how much trouble your dog will have with this drill at first. Have your BB help and keep repeating until your dog has got is. This will take several sessions so don't be in a hurry. When you are done, you will have a marking fool on your hands. Good luck.
    Latter drill is just fine.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think the ladder drill is going to help a lot. I recall seeing it described somewhere, but never thought of it for addressing this problem.
    HRCH Royer's Mighty Riverman Murphy (Murphy)
    HRCH Dakota's Element of Surprise (Ellie)

She has done that because of her doing...her genes....Start simple....You are the teacher...Show her your ways not yours.....Step back and do the simple stuff that they know......Teach....Teach......Teach......and then do the next step........

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    Latter drill is just fine.
    Is this drill different than what Tony described ? "
    You need a helper for this drill and a lot of white bumpers. Take the dog out to a low cover area and mark off 100 yards at 20 yard increments. Have your helper start at the closest station off to the side of the line and have them throw onto the line and send on the mark. Keep moving the BB back (you are stationary)" Tony
    ................. Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Is this drill different than what Tony described ? "
    You need a helper for this drill and a lot of white bumpers. Take the dog out to a low cover area and mark off 100 yards at 20 yard increments. Have your helper start at the closest station off to the side of the line and have them throw onto the line and send on the mark. Keep moving the BB back (you are stationary)" Tony
    ................. Steve S
    He's only talking about one side, But I thought is good for this discussion.

Keith