The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trial/test setup question

Default Trial/test setup question

The rulebook says that dogs must be able to see each bird in the air and as it falls. I've had judges tell me there's nothing that says dogs must be able to see birds to the ground. Still, by rule, if the bird must be able to be seen in the air then wouldn't logic dictate that "in the air" and "as it falls" be different situations? If not, then why the two descriptions? To me, it means the bird must be able to be seen if not to the ground, at least to the point when it comes into contact with visible cover. How do you folks interpret it because I've seen judges set up marks with birds landing behind impenetrable thickets and over hills?
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Quote Originally Posted by J. Walker View Post
    The rulebook says that dogs must be able to see each bird in the air and as it falls. I've had judges tell me there's nothing that says dogs must be able to see birds to the ground. Still, by rule, if the bird must be able to be seen in the air then wouldn't logic dictate that "in the air" and "as it falls" be different situations? If not, then why the two descriptions? To me, it means the bird must be able to be seen if not to the ground, at least to the point when it comes into contact with visible cover. How do you folks interpret it because I've seen judges set up marks with birds landing behind impenetrable thickets and over hills?
    Actually for FT it says should not shall or must, but in my estimation you are correct, in that the Supplement to the Standard Procedure then further amplifies Trial Procedure 8, to me this amplifacation is in essence confirming your point.

The wording in the HT regs , does say "must see the bird as it goes up into the air and as it falls" so there is no need for further amplifacation to be provided elsewhere

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 08-03-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

As a judge, I feel the birds should be seen in the air and if not as they actually hit the ground, very close to that. If the bird falls behind a thicket or over a hill, how can you, as a judge, judge the dog. If you can't see the dog in the area of the fall and can't see the dog pick up the bird, it would make it very hard to judge that dog. The intent of the rule, as far as I believe, is that the dog should see the bird arc up into the air and get a good idea, both distance and approximate area, of where it falls.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Walker are you advertising ?
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by mostlygold View Post
    As a judge, I feel the birds should be seen in the air and if not as they actually hit the ground, very close to that. If the bird falls behind a thicket or over a hill, how can you, as a judge, judge the dog. If you can't see the dog in the area of the fall and can't see the dog pick up the bird, it would make it very hard to judge that dog. The intent of the rule, as far as I believe, is that the dog should see the bird arc up into the air and get a good idea, both distance and approximate area, of where it falls.

Dawn
    My bolding ...The choice is throw the bird in a group of cattails (or other types of cover) where you can't see the dog in the fall area or put the bird out on bare ground or in open water which would you choose..? If you can't see the dog you know it is the fall are ...If you can see the dog you know it is out of the fall area....I agree the dog should get a good look at the bird in the air...not behind a tree where there is only very limited time for the dog to see a small portion of the arc...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

What about a bird being thrown before the previous bird lands?
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post
    What about a bird being thrown before the previous bird lands?

Just fine as long as you don't consider it a mark. Tough to judge a mark if you have 2 in the air at the same time. If marking is of primary importance, best let the dogs actually mark the bird. JMHO.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

So which one doesn't get considered a mark, the first one that the dog swings from, or the second one that the dog swings to after hearing the shot?
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

Quote Originally Posted by limiman12 View Post
    So which one doesn't get considered a mark, the first one that the dog swings from, or the second one that the dog swings to after hearing the shot?
    Did you see that Sunday AM?

Why is your dog swinging off a mark to a shot? Did you ask it to?
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie