The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising pup with birds??

Default Raising pup with birds??

Recently got a young Chocolate Lab pup, Nytro, 9 weeks old now. First time training for me. We have chickens and "Grandma" has ducks, Nytro goes to Grandma's while both of us are at work. If we raise him to be around the chickens and ducks are we going to ruin his drive and instincts?? Anyone have any experiences or advice to offer? Thanks!

Personally I would not want to put pressure on a retriever pup to leave birds alone (adult dogs is another situation). Therefore I would anticipate that the well-being of the ducks/chickens may be threatened as pup grows older, if he has free access to chase them. I lost a pet Banty hen to a 4-5 mo old pup years ago - he was just doing what comes naturally! (my adult dogs knew to leave her alone)

We have pigeons and occasionally ducks and chickens. Your pup is not going to lose drive being around penned birds. If the dog can dig into the pen... well, that could be another story.

Madness and mayhem,
    Helen

I have raised pups around chickens and peacocks and taught them from a young age not to chase them, and have had no problems with it affecting my dogs drive when training, hunting, or doing tests. They seem to be able to distinguish when to and when not to retrieve a bird.

Christine

I would think grandma improperly correcting the interest over birds your biggest risk.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

If he's gonna run around the yard with pastured chickens and ducks that's not so cool.
    Keep puppy away from birds unless retrieving. If birds are in pens dog can be aware of them but should not be allowed to mess with them.
    Puppy should never be left alone where he can get to loose birds or get to the bird pen fence.
    So basically figure a way to keep puppy separate from farm birds some how. Adding a wire fence may help.
    If your puppy is just a pet?
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I had a GSP come in for training awhile back. That pup was crazy about chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, butterflies...anything but birds. Birds elicited a shutdown and ignore reaction. I couldn't figure out why, and worked and worked to try and get the bird lightbulb to turn on.

And then I got the rest of the story. City folks, bought a farmette and moved out to the country. Son wanted a bird dog. And in their new-found country wisdom, they decided the best way to get this 7 week old puppy used to birds was to raise it by kenneling it in the chicken coop...with the big ol' hens. And as you may guess, those hens pounded the snot out of that poor little puppy, which explains why it had no liking for birds.

I got it turned around enough to hunt, but what was taken out of that pup will never come fully back.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post

And then I got the rest of the story. City folks, bought a farmette and moved out to the country. Son wanted a bird dog. And in their new-found country wisdom, they decided the best way to get this 7 week old puppy used to birds was to raise it by kenneling it in the chicken coop...with the big ol' hens. And as you may guess, those hens pounded the snot out of that poor little puppy, which explains why it had no liking for birds.
    And am sure the thought owner on that would have argued the concept on the internet till the cows came home - perhaps even calling detractors 'elitists'.

Actually, they were mortified when I told them it was the wrong thing to do...they felt terrible. Lesson learned, and hopefully they will do more research as they add animals to their collection.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Actually, they were mortified when I told them it was the wrong thing to do...they felt terrible. Lesson learned, and hopefully they will do more research as they add animals to their collection.
    It wasn't the internet. Glad it worked out.