The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Levin and a Paradigm Shift

Default Mark Levin and a Paradigm Shift

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/201...ark-levin.html

Anyone else have thoughts on the book or plan to read it?

It sounds like it would be worth reading. Have heard Levin mention it on his radio show, but never was able to hear the whole explanation.

34 states ... doesn't sound insurmountable to get the amendments proposed.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I bet it would cost 200-400 Million to actually hold a constitutional convention. It would take you a good 6 months to do this and I would give it a 5% chance that we could actually get 34 states to agree on a new amendment. First getting any blue states to do it would be hard because they tend to be more federal, and then you have to get states to agree to the language. Then even if you do that the Supreme Court has to hold the standard. Often they outright ignore the constitution in order to promote change.

The book hasn't come out yet so I shouldn't be saying anything. However, Levin is very adamant that it's not a "Constitutional Convention" since there is already a Constitution. And it sounds like he expects this to be a long road that begins at the state (and even local) level. I think it begins with an idea for a return to Constitutional Republicanism, and a growing consensus on the lawful limits on central government. He seems to suggest that an informed and motivated minority (you'll never get the "low-information" drones) must begin to demand commitment to these principles in their state legislators. From there proposed amendments percolate from the states. The idea is that this has got to originate OUTSIDE of DC since anyone in the cess-pool will never vote to dis-empower themselves. Article 5 of the Constitution was presciently added for the very reason that the people would need a way to assert themselves over a malignant federal government.

Yesterday, Levin was explaining exactly this ... that when this provision was made in the Constitution it was because some of the framers feared that if the central govt got too powerful, they would never vote to restrict their own power. You have to really admire the incredible foresight of those men. They saw the history of Greece, Rome and Europe ... and felt they needed to protect the power of the people. George Mason was the driving force for this, according to Levin.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

What amendments does he want proposed?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Buzz, I've only heard bits and pieces (since I can only really listen when driving) ... but I think a balanced budget amendment and a term limits amendment are among the ones he suggests.

I can already foresee one problem with term limits ... we'll end up with the country being run by "staffers" who are unelected, and whose tenure could extend through many terms.

Also another one which requires any regulation (made by an agency) to be reviewed by Congress if the cost is more than $100 million. It would also stipulate that Congress only has 30 (or 60?) days to act. If Congress does not act, the regulation will not go into effect (or the reverse?)
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Buzz, I've only heard bits and pieces (since I can only really listen when driving) ... but I think a balanced budget amendment and a term limits amendment are among the ones he suggests.

I can already foresee one problem with term limits ... we'll end up with the country being run by "staffers" who are unelected, and whose tenure could extend through many terms.

Also another one which requires any regulation (made by an agency) to be reviewed by Congress if the cost is more than $100 million. It would also stipulate that Congress only has 30 (or 60?) days to act. If Congress does not act, the regulation will not go into effect (or the reverse?)
    In many ways, it already is. They write thes ridiculous bills... Inserting all sorts of hidden pork into them. The average Senator or Congressman never writes or even reads the bills they sign.
    Bill Davis

As I was traveling back home yesterday I had a chance to listen to the Mark Levin show. This idea is amazing...finally, one of the Conservative 'talking heads' (I say that with love for them all) not only has defined the problems, but proposed a way for change. I am frustrated as heck at the Liberal Marxist Agenda being in acted by the President and his followers. Coupled with the RINO republicans sitting on their hands, it is just the worst I have ever seen in my 60 years +... We put Conservatives in the House of Reps....with the task to stop Obama and stop Obama care...why have the not defunded this mess? To many Rino's afraid to stand up and take a necessary stand/ risk! Levin is proposing using the powers given to the States in the US Constitution to make a Constitutional Amendment. He will outline his recommendation in his show over the next two weeks and of course in his new book. To do the amendment we need 34 state governments to support the Amendment (yet to be defined).... In the 2010 election Republicans added 7 new State Legislations with majorities making 28 states under Republican control in both houses. 4 other states are split....so I think this is a reasonable option....if we can get enough people behind it....that means time and money from all of us...to fix this broken house we live in and Restore our Republic! Folks, I think it is time to take action, and finally we know how, in our towns and communities, you can make something happen!

Generally, Bill, I would agree with you. In fact, some of those Congress people don't impress me as being bright enough to understand those bills even if they did read them!

OTOH, we have seen that there are some smart, and apparently, so far, honorable people in Congress. I don't think we should throw those guys out after just one term. If the corrupt and "lifers" are eliminated, we would need the good ones to set the bar for the freshmen coming in.

12 years is probably a good term limit for Congress. That's 2 Senate terms, or 6 House terms. If someone enters Congress at age 30, they can leave at age 42 and still find employment in the private sector. If you allowed 6 House terms + 2 Senate terms that would be 24 years! I don't think that is appropriate.

Maybe Senate terms should be revised down to only 4 years; and House terms be 3 years? The problem with the 2-yr House terms is that the Reps have barely begun their first term, before it's time to start campaigning for the next election. A waste of time and money.

Perhaps the 12 years should also apply to appointed positions in govt ... like "czars" and agency heads?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com