The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: had a visit from animal control today

Default had a visit from animal control today

so when i got home today there was a note on my front door from animal control saying they were call for a barking dog and (here is the kicker) animal welfare. when the officer came back to talk to me about it he almost chocked when he saw my (very healthy) dogs walk around the corner of the house.
    then he tolled me that ingham county no longer responds to barking dog calls. you would have to call lpd for that and they dont respond to much of anything. so people will throw in animal welfare to get animal control to show up.
    then he tolled me how ****** and money hungry ingham county is. you would be hard pressed to find a more expensive county to own a dog in.
    coolest cop i have ever talked to. i would like to give him a shout out but i dont think he would want his name put on this.

dave
    p.s. this was for my beagle not my lab. i just had to share..

love the sound of a beagle making game!
    hounds in my misspent yout.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Had it happen to me before. Same thing, someone reported that I had poor conditions and was abusing the dogs. Of course when they showed up and saw my home and dogs they knew it was BS. It helped that I had files for each dog with all records, pictures and ribbons on the wall, and the personal cell number for two different vets.
    It is like anything else, people can report you for just about anything. Just deal with the agency that responds in a cool manner and it is no big deal. I got satisfaction knowing that whoever reported me was probably watching as the animal control officer petted and played with the dogs and shook my hand as he left.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

We had the same thing happen but it was our neighbor's dogs barking. We live in the country on 6 acres with a subdivision on a hill looking down over our property. We have 4 dogs which were home for Christmas from the trainer. I think all the wonderful person who called knew was that we had dogs and kennels so it must be our dogs. When I called animal control and asked what the complaint was, he said someone had called about our dogs barking day and night. My response "that's interesting since they come in every night at 9:00 pm to sleep in their crates and are not let out until 5:30 the next morning". That pretty much ended that but you have to wonder what kind of person gets upset over a dog barking that is not even close to their house. We are next door to the house and hear the dogs barking sometime at night at the horses but it's not enough to disturb our sleep. Guess we are just happy to be in the country with land.

I too had the same thing happen. Police showed up said someone complained. Told him that I had a dog in heat and there was nothing that I could do. Ask him if there was a naked woman in front of him and he was tied up and couldn't get to her, wouldn't you be howling also. He told me to have a goodnight and left with a grin!

What is it with people? When I get a new puppy, I go around to my neighbors and tell them about it, and ask them to let me know if the dogs are noisy when I'm at work. (This is when pup is big enough to be in the kennel run during the day.) That way, they'll call me if they have a problem and not animal control. But honestly, I think some people are just weird about how you keep your dog. I've known people to get offended because my dogs are "caged" behind chain link (in 4 x10' runs, no less). Just like when you get dirty looks because your dog has an e-collar on.

I'm coming at this from a totally different direction. I've spent 20+ years tracking the antics of the HSUS. One too common theme is the incident that starts with a seemingly innocent visit from animal control. Rather than telling all the horror stories of folks who've had their dogs literally stolen by animal control, here's the URL of a detailed article named "What to do if Animal Control comes knocking."

http://nhdogs.org/resources/adoa-wha...omes-knocking/

http://tinyurl.com/ydt7dbr

WHAT TO DO WHEN ANIMAL CONTROL COMES KNOCKING
    by George J. Eigenhauser Jr.

(Mr. Eigenhauser is an attorney at law licensed in the State of California since 1979 and practices in the areas of civil litigation and estate planning)

ANTI-DOG ENFORCEMENT – What Every Dog Owner Needs to Know

Dog owners and ethical breeders are increasingly being targeted. Disgruntled neighbors may retaliate against dog owners and may other reasons drive complaints, and anti-dog enforcement action, which many times may be conducted illegally. The following text outlines methods of inquiry and enforcement which may be used by local officials in attempts to enforce ordinances in your community and suggested techniques of response. These techniques are entirely legal and based upon the rights of citizens as stated by the U.S. Constitution. No breeder or rescuer wants to have Animal Control come knocking on the door…but if they do, it will help if you know what your options are. Remember,

Animal Control is law enforcement. They are bound by the same Constitution as any other government agency. To protect yourself, you need to know your rights. These vary slightly one jurisdiction to another, but some general principles apply. One rule applies everywhere: never physically resist an officer.

- more -
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge