The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How tO stop Dog on whistle coming in

Default How tO stop Dog on whistle coming in

As the title states, how do u all train Ur dog to stop on whistle when coming in?

He knows how to stop on whistle while going out so far but haven't figured out the coming in stop!!

Thanks..

My friend....When you whistle your dog to stop....It means stop.....Put your dog on a check cord and do some OB training....Help your dog to understand what you mean and they will understand you.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    As the title states, how do u all train Ur dog to stop on whistle when coming in?

He knows how to stop on whistle while going out so far but haven't figured out the coming in stop!!

Thanks..
    Try taking a large step forward toward the dog as he is coming in with your hand out like a cop. This will cause the dog to stop pretty quick out of shock more than anything the first time. As he gets better you can get less dramatic. And yes, at that stage you should be doing this on the check cord.

X2.. I am going through this right now. Blow the whistle and take a step forward with my hand up. I am trying to get this down first before moving to whistle stop going away. How do you handle that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    Try taking a large step forward toward the dog as he is coming in with your hand out like a cop. This will cause the dog to stop pretty quick out of shock more than anything the first time. As he gets better you can get less dramatic. And yes, at that stage you should be doing this on the check cord.

Ok, thanks for the replies, I will definately try it and on a check cord...

Just cause he knows sit going away, doesn't make sit coming to you automatic - or at least the way I think dogs think (?).

Sounds like he may need some help working through some "confusion". I use a lead - as short as 6' if needed to start. Assuming he/she knows sit/stay, put him at the end of the lead with you at the other end of the lead; call him to you; as you blow the whistle raise your arm and catch the lead up high where it basically guides the dog into the sit position - I'm teaching here, not correcting. If you're patient like I am, you can phase out the lead, but still be the traffic cop, then phase out the traffic cop.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

I got lucky on this with my dog. Before I decided I was gonna try to train her as a retriever I had her stay when I put my hand in the air, so training to stop on a whistle on the way back was easy because all I had to do was hold my hand up and blow the whistle and she would stop. That is also how I worked on her to figure out the whistle meant stop going away to. She eventually realized that when the whistle blows it means the same as my hand being in the air. I didn't mean for it to carry over like that but it was a nice little step once I finally decided to train her.

[QUOTE=Hooked on Quack;1134094]X2.. I am going through this right now. Blow the whistle and take a step forward with my hand up. I am trying to get this down first before moving to whistle stop going away. How do you handle that?[/QUOTE]

I like the check cord. Start with verbal sit and support with the cord. Go to whistle and support with the cord. Intro e-collar with the whistle and support with cord. Transition away from cord. Viola!!!

Throw a bumper over his head as he is coming in and blow the whistle, He gotta stop on the track. You can reward him with the retrieve if you wish?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

besides learning the command in basic yard OB we used to train and play a little game with a variant on the baseball casting exercise and also teaching casting...

start by setting a sight blind in a mythical center field, then heel the dog about 20 yds on that line and have them sit with the bumper behind him...walk back to the line ...blow the sit whistle and give the dog a back cast

now repeat the procedure but this time blow the sit whistle followed by the come in trill (toot toot), when the dog gets to a certain distance, blow the stop whistle...then give the cast back

later on you can add bumpers to right and left field to teach angled backs or bumpers at 1st or 3rd base to teach overs
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"