The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How tO stop Dog on whistle coming in

I teach sit on the verbal command way back in OB...any where any time coming or going ....The whistle is added later ,no problems if the dog knows to sit on verbal...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

This is what worked for me....make a check cord out of 100 or 159 foot braided nylon rope with a hollow core...I used 1/4 inch thickness. Then, use this website to make an eye loop at the end so you can attach a snap swivel...

http://www.topkayaker.net/articles/i.../eyesplice.htm

Then, find a tree with smooth bark or a post that is in the ground real well. Have you dog sitting in front of you with the tree/post behind the dog. The course of the check cord then is dog, backward to tree, then forwards to you (you have plenty of sick). This way, you can give him here whistle wait a minute, and follow up with a sit whistle, if he doesn't sit, now you have a way to utilize the check cord in a direction away from you rather than toward you. I know this sounds confusing so let me know if you have any questions. This is just what really worked for me when my pup was young because we had the same issues...

Good luck!

Jer
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Quote Originally Posted by jecartag View Post
    This is what worked for me....make a check cord out of 100 or 159 foot braided nylon rope with a hollow core...I used 1/4 inch thickness. Then, use this website to make an eye loop at the end so you can attach a snap swivel...

Then, find a tree with smooth bark or a post that is in the ground real well. Have you dog sitting in front of you with the tree/post behind the dog. The course of the check cord then is dog, backward to tree, then forwards to you (you have plenty of sick). This way, you can give him here whistle wait a minute, and follow up with a sit whistle, if he doesn't sit, now you have a way to utilize the check cord in a direction away from you rather than toward you. I know this sounds confusing so let me know if you have any questions. This is just what really worked for me when my pup was young because we had the same issues...

Good luck!

Jer
    I will definately try this method as well. Thanks for posting.. All of the posts have provided very good ideas. Will try them soon.

Would I need to provide e collar pressure as well while teaching what I am looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    I will definately try this method as well. Thanks for posting.. All of the posts have provided very good ideas. Will try them soon.

Would I need to provide e collar pressure as well while teaching what I am looking for?
    No. Collars don't teach. You teach, collar shocks. Condition and re-enforce with the collar only when the dog has already become mostly reliable on the command. Your cord is your savior. Neither you or the dog can fail with the cord in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jecartag View Post

Good luck!

Jer
    Ding*Ding*Ding!

That smooth surface you're talking about can be found in the shape of that 2" trailer ball on the bumper of your truck
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    Neither you or the dog can fail with the cord in your hand.
    Never used no cords other than the umbilical one I once had and the pup' that got relieved of it early on.
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.perhaps?
    I'm all for 'shaping' behaviour..but 'bridging' requires sound foundations on soft grounding.
    Bon Mallari pointed out the yard drill, with no cord, I (personally) just push on to the field drill, but that's just me.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Never used no cords other than the umbilical one I once had and the pup' that got relieved of it early on.
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.perhaps?
    I'm all for 'shaping' behaviour..but 'bridging' requires sound foundations on soft grounding.
    Bon Mallari pointed out the yard drill, with no cord, I (personally) just push on to the field drill, but that's just me.
    Too much Macallen buddy. We're trying to help someone teach their dog to stop on the whistle not teach three handed casting. Some things don't just magically transition over and have to be taught in a different manner. I'm not saying that method won't work just saying that you are a lot more likely to be successful if you have a way to enforce the command.
    Last edited by Tony Marshall; 08-10-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    No. Collars don't teach. You teach, collar shocks. Condition and re-enforce with the collar only when the dog has already become mostly reliable on the command. Your cord is your savior. Neither you or the dog can fail with the cord in your hand.
    Totally agree! Dont try to use the collar until you have no doubt in your mind that when you blow the sit whistle, your dog knows to sit. Also, be ready to either step on the cord or hang on tight, because if u hit a sit whistle and the cord slips out of your hand, you just allowed the dog to get aay with it. To teach, you can use a verbal "NO, sit" and/or give a tug on the leash when teaching. However, you must already be in a position that your dog knows what the sit whistle means. I not, you may have to teach that at first. I did it at walking heel, then I would do what we described above with the check cord around a post.
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC