The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Tune Up Drills

Default Tune Up Drills

Who does them and how often? How many days do you run them in a row? What does your dog get out of them? Confidence, lining ability, momentum, etc.? Are they indispensable or a negligible part of making a competitive retriever? Have you ever set up a tune up drill on land?

Charles

I am glad you posed these questions. I am very interested as well to hear what others with successful experience have to say. In the past when my dog (Dutch) gets sloppy, I add in more drills, including water tune-ups. I also run a similar drill on land over a variety of terrain/obstacles. Dutch seems to "tighten up" with the drill work, but he does loose a little momentum. Recently we took a short break (give or take 10 days) from everything except morning jogs. He's running as well as he has ever run the last two weeks. I'm wondering in regards to your questions above the smartest way to cycle in drills, fun, & R&R to get the best out of your dog. I know the quick response will be, "Read your dog." I think that's the hardest part, at least for me being a first timer and not knowing what all to read. What do you look for in your dog that tells you, "I need more drills... I need more field work... I need more R&R..." without getting to the point where its obvious and the dogs seems to be regressing or falling apart.

PS. Didn't mean to hitch hike your post

I do them when I encounter a specific problem or weakness...Other than that I do them over the winter or early spring to refresh their memory on how to do things...I like to do 3 days in a row....All 3 things ...confidence (if we are working on a weakness) , lines improve and dogs enjoy doing them and training attitude goes up....Some dogs need them more than others...I don't believe a dog could go it's entire life and not have benefited from them from time to time...Yes, I do them on land too...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

I agree with Steve. I also do tune ups as initial blind drills after coming out of swim-by. I'll start with walk around blinds with square entries and exits and move to tune-ups to teach angle entries and exits and to use a practical application of swim-by before moving on to cheating singles. I, like Steve, also use them as a lifetime maintenance type drill.

I do tuneup drills on land and water with different
    factors involved 7 days in a row.
    I do them whenever I feel I am having trouble with a certain
    factor.
    Sylvia McClure
    Retrieve a Cure
    Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble
    High Society's Courtesan

www.reelretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    I agree with Steve. I also do tune ups as initial blind drills after coming out of swim-by. I'll start with walk around blinds with square entries and exits and move to tune-ups to teach angle entries and exits and to use a practical application of swim-by before moving on to cheating singles. I, like Steve, also use them as a lifetime maintenance type drill.
    You and Steve have it pegged very well. I use tune-ups extensively during early to mid Transition. They school a developing dog in all essential aspects of blind running including de-cheating and re-entries. I follow Carr's directive of running each one for 3-5 days, and then set up a new one. Let the dog show you how much more technical the next one should be.

Indispensable? For me, yes. And, like you, I plug them into my training regimen for maintenance as needed.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Charles C.;1134180]Who does them and how often? I do them

How many days do you run them in a row? Maybe one or two days.

What does your dog get out of them? Lining and looking out from the line to where I want him to go. Confidence, lining ability, momentum, etc.?

Are they indispensable or a negligible part of making a competitive retriever?I do like them and can do them in different areas land or water. Can I do without them???not likely

Have you ever set up a tune up drill on land? Yes over ditches, hilly areas with hay bales in the field etc, what ever I can find so my dog has to keep a straight line and help him create different pics out there. The more different areas the better.

Just my way of doing things!Thanks Charles
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Charles C.;1134180]Who does them and how often? I do them

How many days do you run them in a row? Maybe one or two days.

What does your dog get out of them? Lining and looking out from the line to where I want him to go. Confidence, lining ability, momentum, etc.?

Are they indispensable or a negligible part of making a competitive retriever?I do like them and can do them in different areas land or water. Can I do without them???not likely

Have you ever set up a tune up drill on land? Yes over ditches, hilly areas with hay bales in the field etc, what ever I can find so my dog has to keep a straight line and help him create different pics out there. The more different areas the better.

Just my way of doing things!Thanks Charles
    When you do them repeatedly on water do you think it encourages the dog to seek land?

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    When you do them repeatedly on water do you think it encourages the dog to seek land?
    Yes! My dog is a land seeker so I am continually challenging him. Often he tries not to fight factors in the water and drifts to land side. So we continually work on blinds and marks with land as a draw and other factors (wind) that will push him to land etc. Like everything else however I do while training I try to keep things in balance so I am not overdoing and teaching on one concept.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I don't see it with my dogs..I try to look very hard at balancing things in training ...Do you have something specific in mind by asking ...? Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters