The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Importance of the Dam in breeding

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    Lean Mac's momma only has a WCX. Just saying.
    But she was a Trieven Thunderhead granddaughter and a Trumarc Raider great granddaughter...just saying
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    While I agree that a strong bitch line is very important, some pretty nice dogs have come from dams without an FC or AFC title. Maxx, Tank, Patton (and all his siblings), Lottie, and Grady come to mind. That said, if you look closely at the pedigrees of the dams of all these dogs, you can learn a lot.
    ​Maybe no title, but strong bitch lines, nonetheless
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

So, sounds like most of you would definitely consider a pup out of a non titled dam with strong pedigree who had produced nice pups before?
    I think they were all made to shoot because if they were not why did they give them that whirr of wings that moves you suddenly more than any love of country . . . I think that they were made to shoot and some of us were made to shoot them and if that is not so well, never say we did not tell you that we liked it.

E. Hemingway

Lean Mac's momma only has a WCX. Just saying.

And she was also QAA, as were her sire and dam.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    the Dam is everything in the equation....if she wasnt then everyone would be breeding to the stud of the month and those litters would be producing champions with ease..Have you ever noticed that when litters really click,it seems that the entire litter has got the it gene...the sire may be the marquis name, but IMO the Dam brings more than her 50% to the equation...

If you have a really good bitch, you usually have your choice of possible suitors....if you have an average or marginal bitch, then you are looking for that ONE stud to magically deliver all the talent to the litter
    I'm convinced this is where you start - with the bitch/dam. Then look for compatible sire......but start with the best bitch line your money can buy, even on the sire side. Example FC AFC Tequila Sunrise IX had very strong bitch lines & she was bred to 3 different sires. All three litters produced FC dogs, 10 in total. And BTW, she had 100 AA points too. There are a number of similar examples and such bitches consistently produce very nice pups.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    So, sounds like most of you would definitely consider a pup out of a non titled dam with strong pedigree who had produced nice pups before?
    No I'd consider a pup out of a strong bitch. If you are going to choose a pup, choose the bitch, titles pedigree etc. that is all on paper, it's much better to know the bitch. You find a strong bitch that you know has all the characteristics you want in your pup, way ahead of time put your name on a breeding to possibly take place years later. If she's talented; even without titles; you won't be the only name on that list. Titles pedigree etc. be damned, they look pretty on the wall, but talent comes from talent. You don't need titles or pedigree to have talent, those are just highlights to attract everyone else. Studs get bred to everything the bitch makes it difference. Spend time with dogs, and watch the girls, find THE GIRL who could be bred to the dog down the street and you'd still want a puppy. The put your name in and hope the owners smart enough to breed her to a complement. Just my experience but pups come out like the mother, she will imprint her pups, for good or bad. I prefer to know the mom.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    the Dam is everything in the equation....if she wasnt then everyone would be breeding to the stud of the month and those litters would be producing champions with ease..Have you ever noticed that when litters really click,it seems that the entire litter has got the it gene...the sire may be the marquis name, but IMO the Dam brings more than her 50% to the equation...

If you have a really good bitch, you usually have your choice of possible suitors....if you have an average or marginal bitch, then you are looking for that ONE stud to magically deliver all the talent to the litter
    Ding ding ding! My thoughts exactly!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Let's also not forget ...........getting those puppies into competitive homes as well......................
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    And that proves what, that one should search for a breeding where the dam has a WCX (whatever that
    is)?
    A WCX is a working certificate. And along with the context up until that point in the thread, it proves that the dam of a breeding does not necessarily have to be an FC/AFC to throw good progeny.

A WCX is a working certificate. And along with the context up until that point in the thread, it proves that the dam of a breeding does not necessarily have to be an FC/AFC to throw good progeny.
    That has never been in question, nevertheless most good and great producing bitches have blue ribbon pedigrees and accomplished siblings, Maxx is a poor example for your argument.