The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of first hunt.

Default Age of first hunt.

Just curious at what age do most people take their dog on it's first hunt. I know a lot depends on the dog and it's maturity.

My last dog's first hunt was when she was 10 months old. She was ready for it though. My new dog (male) is coming along nicely but he is only 5 months. He has a long way to go. Probably won't make it out this season

Ill take any pup of mine with me no matter how far along they are. I think it helps build up their desire more. But I hunt for the dog not for me

Yeah that's key. I can see both sides of the fence. Some folks take um early and let them experience it and others wait until the dog is fully trained (12-15 months). I feel like it depends on the dog and how far along they are. My brother brought his dog out last year on the last day (she was 6 months old) she stayed in the truck until we were done then he brought her out and let her retrieve some of the downed ducks. I believe it helped her. Being in and amongst the decoys and the smell of dead birds and burnt powder.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    Just curious at what age do most people take their dog on it's first hunt. I know a lot depends on the dog and it's maturity.

My last dog's first hunt was when she was 10 months old. She was ready for it though. My new dog (male) is coming along nicely but he is only 5 months. He has a long way to go. Probably won't make it out this season
    Years ago I used to train pointing breeds before my military career demanded otherwise. I have gotten back in to training, but this time with a retreiver and its my first time with one of those. I can say from my personal experience pointers were much easier to train for hunting since most are naturally hunting when working in the field. I have hunted pointing breeds at 5 months.

I am not training for upland so perhaps my thoughts on this would be different if I did. But if your only training for retreiving as I am and not upland flushing then I would recommend you wait until your dog is further along. A lot of excitement in the blind when the birds come in. What would you do if your dog breaks and gets peppered? I dont think its worth the risk at that young of an age.

I think it's up to the hunter and dog, but I like to at least have the basic obedience solid. I've learned the hard way taking a young dog out in the field. Goes for both upland and waterfowl. Make sure the dog has been exposed to gun fire too. I've seen first hand a dog become terrified of guns.

I also like to have "controlled hunts". Dog doesn't know the difference. Make up a hunting scenario, whether in the duck blind or in the field. You control the birds, you can control the dog. It also helps tremendously in case a dog flushes a deer and chases it into the next county. Too bad it wasn't deer season!

My young dog just turned two and has been on one live hunt. But she's flushed and retrieved numerous pigeons, chukar and pheasants all of which we planted. She has also ran field trials and hunt tests

Good luck!
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

I start them young. This guy in the front left of the boat ( photo taken a couple days ago) is now 6.5 months old and has been hunting since 4.5 months old. Birds start next week and he will be there. Just my opinion. Don
    3dogsbear86131.jpg

Don ,the big black dog on the front sleeping ,looks just like a bear !
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

I think any exposure done with safety in mind for the puppy is ok. He helped retrieve a wing of a pheasant my old dog was retrieving on this trip out in ND.
    Wish I had a picture of that!

image-3873822110.jpg

This is the picture of him wondering why the hell I was trying to hold him back from dragging a pheasant around. He was 4 monthes old.

Haha cool. Nice picture too. I can see it a little easier to take a young pup upland hunting. I feel though that there is a whole lot more going on with waterfowl hunting that would require a more mature behaved dog. Biggest thing would be sitting still (obedience). Upland hunting would be ideal for introducing a pup to guns and live birds.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    Haha cool. Nice picture too. I can see it a little easier to take a young pup upland hunting. I feel though that there is a whole lot more going on with waterfowl hunting that would require a more mature behaved dog. Biggest thing would be sitting still (obedience). Upland hunting would be ideal for introducing a pup to guns and live birds.
    You said much better what I was trying to tell you.