The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Age of first hunt.

How old is she??

Almost 5 months now.

I think if you can't decide to take your young dog hunting then maybe you should wait. I hunt them young but they are ready to "Train" in the hunt fields and train is what I do. Good Luck with what ever direction you take. Don

I got a question, if you don't hunt them what are you going to do. Not go hunting, go hunting without a dog or do you have an older dog, are you going to keep training. I asked this question 4 years ago on another forum and it was mostly no don't take her. Early October my pup was 6 months and I took her I knew I would have to be very patient. She did fine we got some ducks and she had a ball. Was everything perfect heck no but it sure fun and she has developed into a great gun dog. If I had another seasoned dog and my young dog could be with a trainer then that is another story, but I didn't have that option. If you work and have family there is only so much time to hunt, take the pup along. Hopefully you have good hunting partners also. Somebody mentioned above what it really comes down to, do it for the dog not for you. I took her to a small pond that had been grazed around and so finding birds was fairly simple. No big swift water or real heavy cover. When I went with her I really didn't care how many birds we got, I have killed my fair share in the last 40 years. I wanted her excited, learning, and having fun. Good luck this fall and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jmay View Post
    Almost 5 months now.
    Doves can be the worst to start on. Heat, lotta mouth breathing in heat, lotta loose down, bite size.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
    I got a question, if you don't hunt them what are you going to do. Not go hunting, go hunting without a dog or do you have an older dog, are you going to keep training. I asked this question 4 years ago on another forum and it was mostly no don't take her. Early October my pup was 6 months and I took her I knew I would have to be very patient. She did fine we got some ducks and she had a ball. Was everything perfect heck no but it sure fun and she has developed into a great gun dog. If I had another seasoned dog and my young dog could be with a trainer then that is another story, but I didn't have that option. If you work and have family there is only so much time to hunt, take the pup along. Hopefully you have good hunting partners also. Somebody mentioned above what it really comes down to, do it for the dog not for you. I took her to a small pond that had been grazed around and so finding birds was fairly simple. No big swift water or real heavy cover. When I went with her I really didn't care how many birds we got, I have killed my fair share in the last 40 years. I wanted her excited, learning, and having fun. Good luck this fall and have fun.
    Per a few posts back it's situational IMO. "About the dog" is right on but I can tell you that wife and I working behind many dogs with a camera explicitly for the purpose of capturing working dog upland shots (even at the preserve level with few surprises) and guys paying for the shots (explicit purpose of the hunt) there are a LOT of people that can't make it about the picture or the dog.

That's kind of where I am coming from ^^. I don't have but so much time to hunt. I want the dog to be well enough along that it has down obedience and I will probably run a couple "fake hunts" with guns, decoys, blinds.... as real as I can make it.

One thing that we can ALL agree on and I have seen it posted many times is you HAVE to hunt for the dog and not for you. If you have high expectations on a first hunt your setting yourself as well as the pup up for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Doves can be the worst to start on. Heat, lotta mouth breathing in heat, lotta loose down, bite size.
    Yeah I am not taking mine dove hunting for those exact reasons. Mainly the heat but I don't like the loose feathers either. I may take him to a dove field and let him hear the shots and smell the smells and throw his bumper a few times but that's all.

My dog has a big problem with wanting to play with other dogs so until I can break him of that there is no place for him on a hunt with another dog. If you have any suggestions on that feel free to enlighten me

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    Yeah I am not taking mine dove hunting for those exact reasons. Mainly the heat but I don't like the loose feathers either. I may take him to a dove field and let him hear the shots and smell the smells and throw his bumper a few times but that's all.

My dog has a big problem with wanting to play with other dogs so until I can break him of that there is no place for him on a hunt with another dog. If you have any suggestions on that feel free to enlighten me
    Your dog is coming of age to begin training with others and that discipline/OB begins to shape the dogs mind about when it's time to go to work. And...one would think the dog while getting 'work' is more interested in that work than it is another dog.

I don't let a dog 'play' with other dogs in training scenarios and never been an issue in the field after 6/7/8 months of age since the dog would rather get a mark or find a bird than 'play'.

It's your world...not his.

Good call there ^^^