The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Teaching place to a stand

Default Teaching place to a stand

I'm wanting to teach my pup te place command to his hunting stand. Should I teach it on the ground first then to the stand? Should I use place or just kennel last would it be better for him to deliver to heel or back to the stand.

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

I use kennel, seems to work for my dogs.
    Mike Peters

I used place. I started with my stand as low as I could on the tree. With my dog on a lead give him the place command and encourage him on the stand. Once he got good and comfortable that I progressed higher with the stand. I've been working my pup on remote sends. Let him bring the bird/bumper to you then command place for him to go to the stand.
    Reason I use place is it could be used for a particular place in the house, boat or blind.
    Last edited by BlackRyder; 08-10-2013 at 10:23 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXgU7...8AE0252141A482

One way to start is to lure the pup up on the place board with the treat and when he gets on it ,,immediately let him have the treat
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

An easy way to teach it is to get some type of raised platform. A price of plywood on an old tire works great to start out. I use the kennel command but it doesn't matter. Have the dog deliver to hand on the platform that way when you are in swimming water he can get back up and deliver and then be lined for other marks.

We worked on it with treats at the end of a sessions and he got it pretty quick I was able to throw a few marks for him and he came right back and got on the platform and deliever to hand smart little pup

Quote Originally Posted by Jarratt08 View Post
    We worked on it with treats at the end of a sessions and he got it pretty quick I was able to throw a few marks for him and he came right back and got on the platform and deliever to hand smart little pup
    Awesome!!!