RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Stick Fetch (Force Fetching) quick question !!!!

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  steve schreiner 
#1 ·
Started Force Fetch with my 8mo old BLF, about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks ago and she has done excellent so far, or from what I can tell! (1st one to ever force fetch myself) After the intial ear pinch she transfered to ground well, and has had very few refusals during walking fetch!

I started Stick fetch with her , and we done our 3rd session this morning ! I don't know if this is a good thing or bad, BUT she has not checked up or refused to fetch once since I started applying stick pressure ! I was expecting a few refusals with the diffrent pressure applied, but she has not even baulked ! In fact it seemed the last 2 sessions she is driving even harder towards the bumper on the fetch command !

Now I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, and I would like to think I have done a good job on Force Fetching her, and pressure condtioning her, BUT this is my first dog to train by a program (Smartwork & Using a little bit of Fowl Dawgs for other point of views!!!) and the first I have taken very serious towards her training !

Is there something I did wrong ?? From watching the videos, I was expecting several chances to reinforce the ear pinch, but she is solid so far with the applied sticking!

Wanted to ask ya'lls opnion before I moved to Stick to pile and collar condtioning, and see if I have done something wrong that I needed to back up some ! I have talked several times with the breeder of my pup, who's also a trainer, and he said that he was not suprised that she is being so easy to Force Fetch because her Sire was the easiest he had every Forced Fetch, and it was common from the bloodline that he's seen so far ! Not sure if this is a factor, But I feel I done something wrong, because I was expecting it to be way tougher, and way more of a struggle than it's been !

Any Advice ????

See less See more
#2 ·
You taught the dog step by step and she responded accordingly. Sounds like you have a good dog that you took your time teaching. You will most likely hit a stumbling block at some point but thats ok. Don't think for a minute that this has to be a battle. Move on and get corrections as the opportunity arises. Good luck.

#3 ·
Agreed... You will always hear of problems dogs go through in training but don't think they all have the same problems....As Tony mentioned , your day will come probably, so just stick with the procedure and all will end well....be thankful you have made it this far without any issues....Steve S

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice fellows, I appreciate it . Oh and sorry for all the Exclamation Points !!! I have been scolded by private message about my grammar, and writing techniques.

But seriously thanks for the advice, and ya'lls useful post that actually commented on my question.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice fellows, I appreciate it . Oh and sorry for all the Exclamation Points !!! I have been scolded by private message about my grammar, and writing techniques.

But seriously thanks for the advice, and ya'lls useful post that actually commented on my question.
Don't worry about the grammar police...This forum isn't about writing class it's about dog training ...Most on here get the gist of the messages...Steve S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.