RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Insulated Cargo Trailer as Dog/ATV Rig?

12K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Aussie 
#1 ·
Anyone ever seen this done? There must be something i am not thinking of since i have not seen anyone do it. Can get them insulated, windows, high flow vent fan, etc.

For what i am gonna spend on a trailer, i can rig it up and have everything i use, including polaris sportsman 6x6, covered, protected and ready to go just by hooking up. I have to be missing some issue here...

thoughts?

Bryan

#2 ·
Ventilation would be the biggest thing. Those trailers get really hot inside during the summer. You might be able to install an AC unit like you find in a camper trailer.

#5 ·
Canine Cargo carriers make them. They have a pretty cool "honeycomb" kennel system built in. I bought their 8 hole kennel system and a 12' V-nose trailer. I lined it with reflective insulation and installed the kennel system on the driver side wall. I typically haul 4-6 dogs, so I have a few extra kennels to store tools, first aid kits, etc. I store heavy, linear gear (sun canopy, wingers etc.) on the passenger wall to counterbalance the dog weight on the other side. I added a LOT of ventilation and a roof fan to draw heat out when parked. I added a clothes rack for rain gear/handler's jackets, and a door lock on the inside. During the summer, I am typically 2 degrees warmer in the trailer than outside temp. It stays pretty warm in the winter when the dogs are inside creating body heat. I am adamant about cracking the rear cargo door when dogs are inside to help with flow during the summer. The cool thing, I think, about my rig is the family (two daughters that are running HT's and the misses) can use it as a "changing room" at test sites, etc. and all our luggage for long trips can be hauled in the trailer and free up room in the vehicle for us. I am very happy with the set-up.

#8 ·
You can buy the same louvered doors off the shelf that go on the high end rigs. Could make an enclosed trailer a better dog box. For insulation you can use sheets or blow/trim expandable foam. Then cover with luan plywood to make a sandwich. Etc. should be easy enough and be OK with a few mods, water tank etc...

#11 · (Edited)
I saw one at the grand. It was a Boykin trainer had like 2 columns of ruff tuffs stacked 4 tall (since they were all boykins prolly had smalls). It had big side door plus back door. Didnt think to look for a/c but I bet he used a window unit for RVs like discussed here.

edit: after looking at canine cargo website I'm convinced that is what I saw. They look a lot like ruff tuff kennels in shape but I'm pretty sure that they were canine cargo ones

#13 ·
Blake, that was me. They are the CCC system, and they are octagonal, so they fit together like a honeycomb. With the insulating job I did on the trailer, I have not had the need to cut in an AC. It only gets a degree or two warmer than outside temp with the doors open and the roof vent going.

#15 ·
One issue I would consider is washing out after a puke or poop accident. Also will stink after a while and washing may be a issue. I also do the dirt bike race thing and have a toyhauler so like the concept. My other concern would be heat and if the AC failed. I am not sure in my neck of the woods that you could run inverters or 12v fans to keep on cool in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.