The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Questions - Size

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    Bolded by me .... I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but ,I take it as : "pour the food to him if you want a big dog". If this is correct I will disagree with you. If I mis understood your sentence I apologize,but it could be misleading to others.

That is harder on the dogs joints ,bones,stamina when training and so on. The pro I train with just had his personal dog blow an ACL and the vet at MU said the biggest factor in these type of sports injuries is weight.
    I think you did misunderstand - If I did a lousy job of communicating, I apologize for that.
    Last edited by WhisperingHills; 08-12-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: I hate how this site times out my login before i can post a reply!
    Jeff Jennings
    Whispering Hills Kennels
    Silverton, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    Bolded by me .... I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but ,I take it as : "pour the food to him if you want a big dog". If this is correct I will disagree with you. If I mis understood your sentence I apologize,but it could be misleading to others.

That is harder on the dogs joints ,bones,stamina when training and so on. The pro I train with just had his personal dog blow an ACL and the vet at MU said the biggest factor in these type of sports injuries is weight.
    I think you did misunderstand - If I did a lousy job of communicating, I apologize for that.

I did not mean to suggest that the size of a dog is determined by the amount of food he gets. If you read the other posts I have on this thread, I think (hope) they clarify. I'll try again on the feeding part: A puppy's early development with respect to muscle mass and bone weight are influenced by the quantity and quality of proteins and nutrients made available to him. It is true that a pup given abundant quality food during its first 9 months of age, especially the first six months, will have heavier bone and more muscle mass than a pup that does not get the same quality and amount of food during that fast growth stage of life. Big eating isn't going to make the dog taller or longer - that size is genetically predetermined. Also, please note that I'm talking about early puppy stage of life - not adult, and I do not suggest a dog should become obese at any age. I agree with your friend's vet that an obese dog is more susceptible to certain injuries than a dog at proper weight. However, although I agree obesity can contribute to joint injury in a working dog, I also think that weight alone gets blamed for more joint injuries than it should. I believe that a dog's inherited structural quality is more critical than maintaining "ideal" weight. Everyone, including vets, have a slightly different idea of what "ideal" weight is. Did I clarify, or did I make it worse?? Feed a puppy big, and then as he reaches adult stature, gradually reduce his food amount to maintain the weight you want him to carry.
    Jeff Jennings
    Whispering Hills Kennels
    Silverton, Oregon

Clarified. twice
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

It sure is annoying how the site "times out" my login by the time I write a reply.... ;-(
    Jeff Jennings
    Whispering Hills Kennels
    Silverton, Oregon

Thank you everyone!

I understand what you are looking at but, I have to say: One of my genetic litters (a breeding I repeated 3 times) CONSISTENTLY produced LEAN muscular puppies from day one. All the pups: litters of 7,6, and 7 were “non - typically” lean and appeared “fit” very young... Different breedings I have done produced the more rolly-polly pudgy lab look you are talking about.

If you puppy is from a reputable breeder / from genetically sound parentage (health clearance & pedigree wise) / being fed appropriately and vetted appropriately (parasite free etc..) I would just think the pup is pre-disposed to having this look.

Oh and, WELCOME to RTF!!!!!!!!!
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

Quote Originally Posted by runnindawgz View Post
    I understand what you are looking at but, I have to say: One of my genetic litters (a breeding I repeated 3 times) CONSISTENTLY produced LEAN muscular puppies from day one. All the pups: litters of 7,6, and 7 were “non - typically” lean and appeared “fit” very young... Different breedings I have done produced the more rolly-polly pudgy lab look you are talking about.

If you puppy is from a reputable breeder / from genetically sound parentage (health clearance & pedigree wise) / being fed appropriately and vetted appropriately (parasite free etc..) I would just think the pup is pre-disposed to having this look.

Oh and, WELCOME to RTF!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much Danielle!

Double his Weight at 4 months to get adult weight plus or minus 5 lbs.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Ok Im confused I have a yellow male that is about 17 weeks and I feed him pro plan and according to the bag and what my breeder told me 3 cups of food a day is good. I also asked the vet if he is ok weight wise and he said yes he looks good not to heavy not too thin so am I feeding him enough or should I go more

timsg- How do you feel about your dogs weight? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your pup is chubby or very lean then adjust accordingly.
    OWNED BY:
    Longhorn Lacey's Boomerang "Boomer"
    Brio's Jollycurl to Bravo First Over Under JH WCX "Parker"

Kyle Crump