The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Energy

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post

Because left to their own they would not do it.

I want my 100 watt bulbs. (Luvy..) well x everybody else too. We think that we should turn on the switch and power should flow. It don't work that way. Everyday electrical power is bought sold and distributed on a very complex basis from company to company dependent on demand and generating capacity. The grid that lights your house and powers the computer you're looking at is more vulnerable than you suspect. All of the electrical grid that is shared and supported state to state is now controlled by much the same servers that caused an outage on RTF a week ago. Look at the reaction that happened then. The electrical grid is slightly better protected then RTF vbulletin, but not much.

Learn to embrace and use the new light bulbs, Compact florescents, halogens, and LED's .

Incandescents will eventually go away. Kinda like old CRT TV's (I like my B&W TV don't force me to change!!!) But man, we love those side lit led 52" flat screens don't we?

JD

PS If you feel like correcting my spelling, grammar, or syntax go for it. I gotta very thick skin.
    That's a crock of baloney. They way I was raised, when you walk out of a room the light switch gets turned off. If it didn't, we caught hell as kids. So it became habit. I still do it today at 55 years old. It personal responsibility... Don't need the govt for that.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    That's a crock of baloney. They way I was raised, when you walk out of a room the light switch gets turned off. If it didn't, we caught hell as kids. So it became habit. I still do it today at 55 years old. It personal responsibility... Don't need the govt for that.
    At 65 years old I was taught the same, still do it. I don't always flush if I take a leak. I do close the lid though cause
    I've got dogs in the house and a wife too. Other than turning off the light when you leave a room, what other energy saving habits have you adopted? Or is it just about Huntinman and what he needs and wants?
    You and I might not need the govt to help tell us, but others like the previous poster might. What is so often the dominant paradigm of the righties is "I got mine, don't f*** with it! I don't need nobody, nohow to tell me what to do. Well Bill, not everybody is as responsible as you and I.

Basta, JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

At 65 years old I was taught the same, still do it. I don't always flush if I take a leak. I do close the lid though cause
    I've got dogs in the house and a wife too. Other than turning off the light when you leave a room, what other energy saving habits have you adopted? Or is it just about Huntinman and what he needs and wants?
    You and I might not need the govt to help tell us, but others like the previous poster might. What is so often the dominant paradigm of the righties is "I got mine, don't f*** with it! I don't need nobody, nohow to tell me what to do. Well Bill, not everybody is as responsible as you and I.

Basta, JD
    Your last two sentences says NOTHING about conservatives but says EVERYTHING about you.

we are having a ruff time with gmp (green moutain power) up here right now.
    I'll type more later. thay are pushing hard the wind projects. getting permits for the number of endangered species the wind mills may kill per day.
    at the same time just won a rule saying new homes with solar may only have solar units the size of 1/2 the expected power the home will need. now home owners may cover a roof and lawn and sell power back to gmp and the state makes them pay the same rate we all have to pay them for power. so gmp is pissed and made it so new homes can only make half of what they use. Old hippy on the news said it will simply drive more people totaly off grid. said gmp will loose hundreds/thousands of mini power generators providing to the grid.... stupid.
    I'll type about the bats later this eve. gotta make a syrup jar run and take a snapshot for you all.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    Some Alternative Energy is financed to create financial incentives for continued development. Ethanol is a good example of that. The technology is not where it needs to be now, but without financial motivation it never will be either. We are also building the infrastructure to support it. Wind power also is a project still ongoing that will fail without investment. Maybe turbines are not running cities now, but compare the output of a generator now with say 30 years ago. It might not hurt to look at the cost of building one now versus what it cost thirty years ago. These are investment for the future. Model T's did not get 30 miles to the gallon and travel 70 mph either right out of the gate.
    Exactly how much Federal funding did Ford receive to develop that Model T and the improved cars that came afterwards?
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    Your last two sentences says NOTHING about conservatives but says EVERYTHING about you.
    Amen.........
    Bill Davis

Basta, JD
    Our founders designed a govt that was supposed to work for the people, not the other way around.

I don't need or want the govt having any say in my toilet paper, light bulbs, guns, ammo, cell phone bill, or just about anything else they can turn into a goat roping.

Personal responsibility is just that... Those that don't have it should either learn it of suffer the consequences... Not be held by the hand by a bureaucrat.
    Bill Davis

Anyone tried the LED light bulbs? In my office I have florescent and recessed incandescent lights. The landlord will replace the florescent strips but not the recessed since they are not their building standard. We were going through tons of them--seems they barely lasted a week. I thought about the florescent bulbs for the recessed but didn't want any more of that. So we tried the LED bulbs. They are really pricey but give off good light and last a long time. Worth looking into if you don't like the curly bulbs.

The comments about the energy grid are right on. We are very vulnerable right now to hackers on a huge level and solutions to keep it safe are not being worked on fast enough.

I have a 1100 cow dairy that out in a methane digester. MILLIONS of dollars. The power company is barely paying them and the state of Virginia is barely backing efforts for alternative energy. It's appalling! Here is a farm, trying to be proactive and it's been 1 step forward, 2 steps back. You should have seen the battle between the family, power company and Verizon when they were trying to get the two companies to COMMUNICATE to get all the lines set up for the grid.

This whole thing is ridiculous.

The whole solar panel tng above is outrageous too. I would be tempted to go off the grid too.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    I travel for work. Last week I was in Vermont, now I'm in Iowa. I work in agriculture, which brings me to these varying states. The thing that I found most interesting the last week was that while in Vermont, a colleague expressed his frustration with the State/Counties. They have been trying to get windmills up there and it keeps getting voted down because they will mar the 'viewscape'. Hmmm....

Fast forward to today...driving from Des Moine to Fort Dodge.....LOTS of windmills. They were lovely....

Last I knew the politics of these two states were vastly different. Interestingly enough...the group without the windmills is griping about the cost of energy...

Go farmers!!!

Sue Puff
    Not sure how this map supports you theory, based on anecdotal evidence.

http://energy.gov/articles/wind-farm...809f4-48052769
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)