The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Energy

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    I think we need Nuclear, Coal, Natural Gas, Wind, Ethanol production (from not just corn), water power, etc....I think we can't blanket require or regulate. Open minds.....new technology. I think Nuclear has the most potential. I can't imagine in the next 20 years, someone won't figure out how to dispose of the waste product safely...

Sue Puff
    Spent fuel can be re-enriched and re used a few times before the return vs cost of disposal comes inline. If I remember right It was Nixon that got a law passed that stopped us from re-enriching, because of minute amounts of material that could be used to make a bomb. There are also concerns with re-enriching hurting the market for uranium.

I know an engineer who claims if we went 100% nuclear It would cost more to mail the monthly bill than produce the power.

Contrary to all the BS put out by the media and our Government, their is a 'Silver Bullet'. If you can get the Government the heck out of the way. Very simple, 1. Start by converting our public service plants back to coal (WV and other states, not to mention the rail roads go to full employment overnight) by the way with the technologies available to scrub emissions from coal burning power plants, their is no longer any risk to pollution . 2. Take the Natural Gas NG being used by some of the public service plants and all of the vast reserves, including new reserves from Fracking (Also Environmentally Safe) and convert automobiles (common in Europe and South America now) to using NG with home stations for those who own homes with NG. Make available to gas stations also. DONE...could turn the mid-east to a parking lot with lots of sand without firing a bullet!....it is all stopped by out overstuffed Government including corruption reaching out to many large companies......

Quote Originally Posted by sick lids View Post

I know an engineer who claims if we went 100% nuclear It would cost more to mail the monthly bill than produce the power.
    LOL. Too cheap to meter! The rallying cry of the nuclear industry that bankrupted several utilities in the 80s and is in danger of doing it to one now, if they don't figure it out. Engineers love them because designing and building just one plant is an entire career but they forget that they have to be paid for.

For all its benefits, the fact of the matter is that nuclear plants are incredibly expensive to build. In fact nobody knows how much they cost until they are done, always many millions more than the original estimates. This is why so few will undertake a new one without the PSCs allowing them to recover costs as they go right now. The energy costs are low (when uranium is cheap) but the fixed and capital costs are very, very high. They are very inflexible machines and just not a good fit for most utilities. There is not going to be a nuclear renaissance in the US. Southern's Vogtle will get done--at some point--but I doubt we will see another new one come on line in my lifetime. Maybe one, but not anywhere near what the proponents are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Contrary to all the BS put out by the media and our Government, their is a 'Silver Bullet'. If you can get the Government the heck out of the way. Very simple, 1. Start by converting our public service plants back to coal (WV and other states, not to mention the rail roads go to full employment overnight) by the way with the technologies available to scrub emissions from coal burning power plants, their is no longer any risk to pollution . 2. Take the Natural Gas NG being used by some of the public service plants and all of the vast reserves, including new reserves from Fracking (Also Environmentally Safe) and convert automobiles (common in Europe and South America now) to using NG with home stations for those who own homes with NG. Make available to gas stations also. DONE...could turn the mid-east to a parking lot with lots of sand without firing a bullet!....it is all stopped by out overstuffed Government including corruption reaching out to many large companies......
    The only problem I have with coal (and it's a big problem) is the habitat destruction and general pollution caused by the mining process.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Speaking of light bulbs... I still like my old incandescents better...
    Stock piled 100 watt bulbs a few years ago. Interestingly I was at Wally World the other day looking to match some decorative bulbs that are in one of my bathrooms and saw 90 watt incandescents. Never seen or heard of them before. I bought the whole supply on the shelf.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Stock piled 100 watt bulbs a few years ago. Interestingly I was at Wally World the other day looking to match some decorative bulbs that are in one of my bathrooms and saw 90 watt incandescents. Never seen or heard of them before. I bought the whole supply on the shelf.
    Why?

"GE has new 90 watt Watt-Miser bulbs on sale now due to the 100 watt incandescent bulb ban. You can find them at Wal-Mart. They are rated at 1450 lumens. But if you don't mind paying more, GE also has 72-watt halogen bulbs (rated as "100-watt equivalent") which put out 1490 lumens, so with those you get slightly better brightness with less energy being used."

"Every penny spent on a GE product goes to strengthen a company that received over $1.2 billion in stimulus funds and has helped put Obama in the White House and keep him there.
    Plus their products suck."

I buy light bulbs online. A case at a time. Bear in mind they are all made in China.

Cut off your nose to spite your face regards, JD

PS Google is your friend, well not entirely, they do track you with the voracity of NSA
    Last edited by JDogger; 08-14-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Why?

"GE has new 90 watt Watt-Miser bulbs on sale now due to the 100 watt incandescent bulb ban. You can find them at Wal-Mart. They are rated at 1450 lumens. But if you don't mind paying more, GE also has 72-watt halogen bulbs (rated as "100-watt equivalent") which put out 1490 lumens, so with those you get slightly better brightness with less energy being used."

"Every penny spent on a GE product goes to strengthen a company that received over $1.2 billion in stimulus funds and has helped put Obama in the White House and keep him there.
    Plus their products suck."

I buy light bulbs online. A case at a time. Bear in mind they are all made in China.

Cut off your nose to spite your face regards, JD

PS Google is your friend, well not entirely, they do track you with the voracity of NSA
    Gee, I did say I stumbled across them at Walmart "Wally World". I actually love that somebody came out with a 90 watt bulb as they banned the 100's and soon the 75's will be gone. I personally like the light from incandescents. We have boxes of free curly cue bulbs lying around the house and they only get used in the guest rooms and stuff like that.
    I personally see zero reason to pay more for a darn light bulb that I don't like.
    I would pay double for as many as I could get of the good old fashioned outdoor floodlight bulbs! I want my floodlights at full brightness when I flip the switch at 3am because the Shadow, the old lady needs to go pee! She can't wait 5 minutes for them to fully light up!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Of course this makes way too much sense

Use fossil fuels as safely as possible to buy the time to build the bridge to new technologies of the future. We see this happening before our eyes. Ten years ago, not many would have seen the reality of the CNG highway vehicles. Yet, today, Fed Ex, UPS and even USPS are putting CNG vehicles in their truck fleets.

If, as mentioned, nuclear is not safe enough or economical enough in building the plants, NG could be a time-buyer as better/safer technology is developed for use of nuclear, or better batteries to store solar ... or some things that you and I haven't even thought of yet.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

About those 100-watt bulbs ... most light fixtures for incandescents can only handle 60 watts. Some floodlights are the exception.

I still use incandescents for "instant" light, and the curly ones where I don't mind the slow start.

I like the idea of using lower wattage when I can ... I buy the curly bulbs rated for 75 or 100 watt light Then I can wait for the slow start, but have better lumens for reading, etc. once they are at full light.

And there are times when you definitely want that bright flood light. In most cases, those lights aren't going to be used as much as our interior lighting with much less wattage. Obama's drive for "affordable housing" is useless, if those people can't pay their electric bills!

Also, I don't object to lowering my electric bill with lower wattage that give more light than a 60-watt incandescent, and also conserve energy. Why the heck does the govt think it has to force people to do this?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    About those 100-watt bulbs ... most light fixtures for incandescents can only handle 60 watts. Some floodlights are the exception.

I still use incandescents for "instant" light, and the curly ones where I don't mind the slow start.

I like the idea of using lower wattage when I can ... I buy the curly bulbs rated for 75 or 100 watt light Then I can wait for the slow start, but have better lumens for reading, etc. once they are at full light.

And there are times when you definitely want that bright flood light. In most cases, those lights aren't going to be used as much as our interior lighting with much less wattage. Obama's drive for "affordable housing" is useless, if those people can't pay their electric bills!

Also, I don't object to lowering my electric bill with lower wattage that give more light than a 60-watt incandescent, and also conserve energy. Why the heck does the govt think it has to force people to do this?

Because left to their own they would not do it.

I want my 100 watt bulbs. (Luvy..) well x everybody else too. We think that we should turn on the switch and power should flow. It don't work that way. Everyday electrical power is bought sold and distributed on a very complex basis from company to company dependent on demand and generating capacity. The grid that lights your house and powers the computer you're looking at is more vulnerable than you suspect. All of the electrical grid that is shared and supported state to state is now controlled by much the same servers that caused an outage on RTF a week ago. Look at the reaction that happened then. The electrical grid is slightly better protected then RTF vbulletin, but not much.

Learn to embrace and use the new light bulbs, Compact florescents, halogens, and LED's .

Incandescents will eventually go away. Kinda like old CRT TV's (I like my B&W TV don't force me to change!!!) But man, we love those side lit led 52" flat screens don't we?

JD

PS If you feel like correcting my spelling, grammar, or syntax go for it. I gotta very thick skin.
    Last edited by JDogger; 08-15-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift