The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intimidation

Default Intimidation

Question.....whenever there's a judges thread regarding what handlers can or cannot do, at some point the word "intimidation" is used. Someone will say that if a handler does ABC that they will judge that as intimidation, and that's always how it is, the poster defines intimidation by the action of the handler. Judges are given quite a bit of leeway it seems when it comes to judging intimidation which I have no qualms with. But I do have a question.... what is intimidation? Is it the action of the handler.....or is it the response from the dog to that action?
    "If you have watched a pup learning the game, I do not have to tell you what it is like, and if you have not, I probably can't."- Datus Proper

-----------------------------------------------------

TNT Sailors Lil Hurricane Addie ***
    WR Cedars Field Blazing Tucker SH

​"Intimidation" is not in the Rule Book. "Threatening gestures" are.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

"Intimidation" is not mentioned in the AKC Field Trial rule book. It is, however, in the AKC Hunt Test regulations under Serious Handler Faults: "9. Threatening Gestures - or any form of intimidation made to the dog. "
    Sonia Liedman

Handled by:
    Rocky's Red Hot Shot "Chip" QAA
    Babyduck's Blueberry Power "Blue"

Trained by:
    Piva's Gem Rocky "Rocky" MH QAA - RIP
    Swede Grove's Rough Rider "Teddy" JH - RIP

Interesting Ted! Thanks for pointing that out! I see the HT rules mention intimidation, but the FT rules do not (although the HT rules use it in the sentence as threatening gesture so I'm not sure what exactly the difference is). So it's solely up to the judges discretion what they deem as a threatening gesture (be it verbal or physical) and the dogs response to that gesture is completely irrelevant? That seems like wording such as that can really leave some grey areas. A judge may deem a single word or action to be threatening, but if the dogs response is indifferent, then how could it be deemed as such? Regardless I guess it becomes a decision by the judges as you couldn't possibly outline every possible reaction that a dog may have to whatever is deemed as threatening in the rule book.

"No handler shall (1) carry exposed any training equipment (except whistle) or use any other equipment or threatening gestures in such a manner that they may be an aid or threat in steadying or controlling a dog"
    "If you have watched a pup learning the game, I do not have to tell you what it is like, and if you have not, I probably can't."- Datus Proper

-----------------------------------------------------

TNT Sailors Lil Hurricane Addie ***
    WR Cedars Field Blazing Tucker SH

Well... seems to me the word "NO" is always considered threatening... or is that considered training on the grounds? I guess after you say "NO" that's what the exercise has become. And this has me curious because when I'm training and trying to line the dog up, sometimes I "no" her off one line then "here" her to another. Perhaps a bad habit that could get me DQ'd? Or does the "no" have to be NO!!!?

Anyhow... I agree with the OP, some of these things aren't crystal clear to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Westphal View Post
    Question.....whenever there's a judges thread regarding what handlers can or cannot do, at some point the word "intimidation" is used. Someone will say that if a handler does ABC that they will judge that as intimidation, and that's always how it is, the poster defines intimidation by the action of the handler. Judges are given quite a bit of leeway it seems when it comes to judging intimidation which I have no qualms with. But I do have a question.... what is intimidation? Is it the action of the handler.....or is it the response from the dog to that action?
    I believe it to be the gesture, the action of the handler...Just because the dog doesn't perceive it to be a threat by exhibiting a certain behavior doesn't mean it wasn't meant to be one....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Well... seems to me the word "NO" is always considered threatening... or is that considered training on the grounds? I guess after you say "NO" that's what the exercise has become. And this has me curious because when I'm training and trying to line the dog up, sometimes I "no" her off one line then "here" her to another. Perhaps a bad habit that could get me DQ'd? Or does the "no" have to be NO!!!?

The word used in a proper setting and volume is fine ...But, any words used with an excessive volume and body movement could be seen as trying to influence the dog in a threatening manner....I'm sure the BACK command has been given in this manner on more than one occasion...The same command and the dog is 300 yards away would not be viewed in the same light...Excitement in the moment can cause some handler to become loud ...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Where is the word no described in the rules? Is a word a gesture?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Threatening gesture or 'intimidation' seems to be the catch-all phrase here on the interwebs when folks don't like something but can't seem to come up with a rule that has been violated. On the line, things seem to be much more reasonable--even perhaps giving the handler more leeway if they are craftily aiding or steadying the dog than they deserve.

I like using the word NO and YES. Spells things out clearly for the dog especially a puppy. A judge in a CDN WCX test told me not to use the word NO- intimidating! I do as you do 1tulip NO my dog off one line and direct him to another line by saying YES on a blind right or wrong. I don't yell but talk softly to the dog.
    I suppose if you raise your voice possibly could be perceived as a threatening gesture? at a test or trial?? Training tool??? I guess NO is but I feel it is a good one and unless you are threatening the dog then it should be okay to use. IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray