The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Intimidation

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    He, whoever he is, must be a gentleman of the sport if his dog got demoted for that and he didn't raise hell. Hell I don't even play the games but really good dog?
    If something like that gets you knocked down a notch......I believe I'll pass on judges like that.
    In fairness, there are "good dogs" and then there are "good dogs". A time to use it, and a time when not to use it. I typically don't sweat the small stuff.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Are HT judges just as anal about these things as FT?

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    I hate to start a FT versus HT debate, but in my experience Hunt test judges are more anal.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post

They can be! Some of them are still human!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Some people (err, so I have been told) are very sneaky with intimidating gestures. Judges however are also pretty cute, and don't give much quarter.

I've seen a couple of instances at Spaniel Trials; a throw chain jiggled in a coat pocket, and an innocent looking touch of the cap. Probably neither handler had ever heard of a secondary reinforcer, but they understood how to use one! The first was spotted and the second wasn't. A then inexperienced friend of mine entered a novice retriever working test holding a folded lead ...... eliminated. As he said, "Well I came for the experience and I certainly got some; won't be doing that again!"

Again at a Spaniel Trial I saw (or rather heard) something a bit dodgy when a handler took from his dog a very lively "pricked bird" that IMO hadn't been shot at all. It did however have a broken leg when handed to the judge. Very strong fingers and a quick mind are necessary tools in a trainer / handler, and judges should get regular hearing tests.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I hate to start a FT versus HT debate, but in my experience Hunt test judges are more anal.
    That may be because HT judges are required to score dogs in Trainability and FT judges tend to overlook lime matters and focus more on work in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lehr View Post
    That may be because HT judges are required to score dogs in Trainability and FT judges tend to overlook lime matters and focus more on work in the field.
    Field trial judges definitely pay more attention to the dog's work in the field. But have you watched a field trial recently? In my recent experience, the average trial dog (if there is such a critter) has better line manners than than the average hunt test dog.

Just my opinion over the last few years.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    Again at a Spaniel Trial I saw (or rather heard) something a bit dodgy when a handler took from his dog a very lively "pricked bird" that IMO hadn't been shot at all. It did however have a broken leg when handed to the judge. Very strong fingers and a quick mind are necessary tools in a trainer / handler, and judges should get regular hearing tests.

Eug
    I'm assuming the dog would have been out for retrieving a bird that was not shot, presumably leaving the shot bird in the field? Can you elaborate?

I'm assuming the dog would have been out for retrieving a bird that was not shot, presumably leaving the shot bird in the field?
    Exactly so. Picking an unshot bird is an eliminating fault in both Spaniel and Retriever Trials. If you watch a video of trials in UK you'll note that every retrieved bird is handed to the judge who examines it for damage that may be a result of hard mouth, and also to ensure that it was fairly shot.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

I really admire the 'eyewipe' system we have Eug'...
    Sets them apart all over the world.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever