The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intimidation

If I told my dog GOOD and then whacked her with a healing stick enough times.....Wonder how a judge would handle that if a dog cowered down when you gave the GOOD DOG command.

Or if from a pup the word NO was used as praise...Then after a nice blind I told my dog NO and he jumped on me and wagged his tail.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    .... how a judge would handle that if a dog cowered down when you gave the GOOD DOG command....
    do not know if it is rtf urban myth or not. but years back Shayne told us of a dog that was dropped at a trial 'cause the handler gave a "Good Dog" when the dog picked up a bird. maybe somebody that ran Shayne's circut way back when can chime in ?
    Dr.Ed or Gutman??
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    do not know if it is rtf urban myth or not. but years back Shayne told us of a dog that was dropped at a trial 'cause the handler gave a "Good Dog" when the dog picked up a bird. maybe somebody that ran Shayne's circut way back when can chime in ?
    Dr.Ed or Gutman??
    Ken, it couldn't have happened in Texas... I was running under that same judge in Alaska
    Bill Davis

Dr.Ed or Gutman??
    I don't know about being dropped but I was told a man did get a green instead of a blue for unsportsmanlike like conduct for over emotional behavior ...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

.......'cause the handler gave a "Good Dog"'.........
    Dr.Ed or Gutman??
    No need for hearsay Ken, I think one of the contributing posters on this thread can speak to this topic with authority

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 08-13-2013 at 08:20 AM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Ken, it couldn't have happened in Texas... I was running under that same judge in Alaska
    was it you Bill, in that story way back, that Shayne used to tell???
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    I don't know about being dropped but I was told a man did get a green instead of a blue for unsportsmanlike like conduct for over emotional behavior ...Steve S
    Wow, that deserves a thread of it's own!!!!!

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

was it you Bill, in that story way back, that Shayne used to tell???
    HaHa! Not me... Only ever been to one trial in Texas. And I wasn't judging.
    Bill Davis

I'd sure like to hear that story. That's the kind of thing that makes you think you've been "home-towned" or that a judge was a friend of one handler or not-so-friendly with another. IOW, that sort of thing could give the sport a bad name.

It was Ted that dropped a dog for the handler saying Good Dog. All of you know it, just no balls to say it.....Ted, storytime...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"