The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intimidation

I was in my beginner days and attended a hunt test seminar. We were to run a double set up, and as per normal my dog stepped out about 5 yards between throws. I snarled loudly at him, HEEEEEEELLLL! The trainer/coach touched my arm and told me that in a test I could be dropped for intimidating my dog. I turned around and said, "Sir, I wish to hell I could intimidate this dog". I am still saying that today in his retirement!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

This is where the rule book(s) could be improved. It is not so much on what and how it is said rather than how the dog responds. I see a lot of dogs with tails between their legs when certain handlers grab the gun for a walk-up. Or some even have been known to use the word "Please"...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    do not know if it is rtf urban myth or not. but years back Shayne told us of a dog that was dropped at a trial 'cause the handler gave a "Good Dog" when the dog picked up a bird. maybe somebody that ran Shayne's circut way back when can chime in ?
    Dr.Ed or Gutman??
    I recall that happening at Ohio or Buckeye. Have to think about it.
    Handler, on blind, tooted and sat dog out about 125 yards, "Good". I think it was just next to a row of bushes you needed to get an angle back cast to get through.
    I'll try to remember exactly what happened. Pretty sure they got dropped.
    Think once dog has bird in mouth and coming back in a little "good dog" is fine. Now if dog just smacked that last punch bird in a 4th series water quad, a really big old loud "good dog" aught to be required!
    Last edited by Breck; 08-13-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    I'd sure like to hear that story. That's the kind of thing that makes you think you've been "home-towned" or that a judge was a friend of one handler or not-so-friendly with another. IOW, that sort of thing could give the sport a bad name.

I was one of the judges. Vickie Lamb was the other.

The handler in question was Marv Baumer, who was and is a good friend of mine. In fact, I have a puppy from Marv's bitch, Piper, with me now.

As for the details, I have no desire to go back into events that occurred over eight years ago. And engage in another debate on those decisions on RTF.

Been there, done that.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

If i recall the thread correctly Ted, you didn't drop the dog for intimidation, which this thread is about, rather for needing encouragement when other dogs didn't. Without getting into details on that event, I'm curious if you still today have the same thoughts about placing dogs or dropping dogs for similar behaviors out of handlers?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

you can't be serious...

I am always surprised at the number of JH handlers who think nothing of pop jerking or ear pinching their dogs in the holding blinds. And then they act all surprised when the marshal tells them they can't DO that. I had to warn a couple this past weekend as a marshal. Given that some folks were apparently warned by judges about even holding collars too tightly, my guess is the offenders I had to warn were likely dropped due to something along the way, but I tried to tell them that their training should have been done before they entered.

OTOH, I had a couple folks tease me for a rambunctious butt smacking (which makes mine get wiggly-happy) while waiting to be test dog. I never realized that the intimidation subject was that murky!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    do not know if it is rtf urban myth or not. but years back Shayne told us of a dog that was dropped at a trial 'cause the handler gave a "Good Dog" when the dog picked up a bird. maybe somebody that ran Shayne's circut way back when can chime in ?
    Dr.Ed or Gutman??
    I believe it was during the blind, and the handler just said it without thinking if my memory serves me from our conversation. The handler did get a "good dog" hat out of it! I believe Shayne had sent it to him. The handler is a great guy, and is everyone's friend. He is truly a gentleman of the sport.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    I believe it was during the blind, and the handler just said it without thinking if my memory serves me from our conversation. The handler did get a "good dog" hat out of it! I believe Shayne had sent it to him. The handler is a great guy, and is everyone's friend. He is truly a gentleman of the sport.
    He, whoever he is, must be a gentleman of the sport if his dog got demoted for that and he didn't raise hell. Hell I don't even play the games but really good dog?
    If something like that gets you knocked down a notch......I believe I'll pass on judges like that.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    He, whoever he is, must be a gentleman of the sport if his dog got demoted for that and he didn't raise hell. Hell I don't even play the games but really good dog?
    If something like that gets you knocked down a notch...... I believe I'll pass on judges like that .
    Ahhh Now, Your going to get accused of judge shopping!