The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Golden retriever

I think I'm going to need help picking out bandana colors .

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    Can you use choke chains on Goldens?
    Yes, but only up to the last holding blind.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    lab says....
    "gotta get the bird gotta get the bird gotta get the bird"
    golden says....
    "the square root of the distance to the gun station plus the square root of the distance to the AOF equals the distance I need to travel to land exactly on the bird"
    As it looks in the mirror flipping its curls.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by logy View Post
    I am looking at getting a field bred golden retriever. Do they have a problem with with drill work? Any advice on training them?
    "Train the dog you're training". Each dog is an individual. The late D.L. Walters advised me once, "Your dog doesn't know what breed he is, or what color or even what sex, and he doesn't know what your expectations are based on those things. A good dog is a good dog." Train each one without the unfair expectations of breed generalities.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Burns View Post
    Dogs are all individuals and respond differently. I am on my 3rd field Golden and all have loved to learn...drill work being a large part of the early training. Field lines may show more enthusiasm for working in general. Follow a program and get with folks that are willing to work with you. If you can go to a Pro seminar, all the better. Enjoy your new project!
    Good stuff,after working with a golden from your line it brought back old memories and renewed faith........Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    lab says....
    "gotta get the bird gotta get the bird gotta get the bird"
    golden says....
    "the square root of the distance to the gun station plus the square root of the distance to the AOF equals the distance I need to travel to land exactly on the bird"
    That equation only works when it's not butterfly season. Then it's "got to get the little bird looking thingy?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Southall View Post
    That equation only works when it's not butterfly season. Then it's "got to get the little bird looking thingy?"
    My dog Trixie (a black) has spent more time chasing butterflies than all of my goldens combined! Boy she was fast on one last night... about a fifteen yard dash... here and there.
    Last edited by Klamath Hunting Gold; 08-14-2013 at 07:23 PM.
    Randy Hand
    Semper Klamath River Amber Ale** (Amber)
    Klamath's Heartbreak Kid (Valentino)

NEWS: Amber has been bred to Topbrass Montana Lonesome Dove***

Quote Originally Posted by Klamath Hunting Gold View Post
    My dog Trixie (a black) has spent more time chasing butterflies than all of my goldens combined! Boy she was fast on one last night... about a fifteen yard dash... here and there.
    The girl you see in my avatar is hell on moths but I'd never tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by logy View Post
    I am looking at getting a field bred golden retriever. Do they have a problem withs with drill work? Any advice on training them?
    Goldens and Border Collies dominate competitive obedience and there's a ton of drill type work with that. Goldens are by far the preferred breed for service dogs and they get trained with hours of repetition every day. Of the dogs I've trained, the two dogs that were awful on drills were both Lab males, one black and one chocolate. They completely lacked focus and stopped giving effort pretty quickly. The best ones I've trained have been Goldens including a rescue I had who would do lining, wagon wheel, etc. all day. I'm not implying anything about Labs versus Goldens. I'm just saying there's never an "always" or "never" when you're talking about breeds. My current FT Golden, a grandson of Glenda's well-known dog, Bart, has extreme drive and desire. (My avatar is of him going airborne doing his very first water retrieves.). For him, marks, blinds or drills, it doesn't matter as long as he's getting to retrieve. Some dogs, whether Lab or Golden, just have that in them.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

I love your avatar picture J. Walker!