The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden retriever

I have and have had Goldens and Labs. Since I have had to train by myself a large percentage of the time, and especially when I first started in field work, I relied a lot on drills. All of my dogs have thrived on them and looked forward to them. It is especially rewarding when old retired FC-AFC dogs start acting like pups when they know they are going to get to run some favorite drills. Again, since I was training by myself, there were no fliers to jazz them up, so I tried to make the drills not only educational but challenging and enjoyable. I think the attitude of the trainer is a very important component to having a dog that loves to do drills. If you are an athlete, think about the coaches that really got you fired up to go out and work hard during scrimmages compared to those that turned drills into a form of punishment. If you are a scholar, think about those teachers that challenged you and made a subject one of your favorites. If you personally are bored running a dog on a drill, this is reflected in the dog. Be creative, keep them on their toes and thinking, and my Goldens have never worn a bandana. I did have one Lab that considered it, but only briefly.

Glenda

Dogs are all individuals and respond differently. I am on my 3rd field Golden and all have loved to learn...drill work being a large part of the early training. Field lines may show more enthusiasm for working in general. Follow a program and get with folks that are willing to work with you. If you can go to a Pro seminar, all the better. Enjoy your new project!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda Brown View Post
    I have and have had Goldens and Labs.... and my Goldens have never worn a bandana. I did have one Lab that considered it, but only briefly.

Glenda
    I love it.
    Creative editing regards
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda Brown View Post
    I think the attitude of the trainer is a very important component to having a dog that loves to do drills. If you are an athlete, think about the coaches that really got you fired up to go out and work hard during scrimmages compared to those that turned drills into a form of punishment. If you are a scholar, think about those teachers that challenged you and made a subject one of your favorites. If you personally are bored running a dog on a drill, this is reflected in the dog. Be creative, keep them on their toes and thinking, and my Goldens have never worn a bandana. I did have one Lab that considered it, but only briefly.

Glenda

Very well said!
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

I have had only Golden's, I do not have a problem with Labs, I just prefer Golden's....for good information on Field Golden's check out the Golden Retriever Forum, just like this Forum....lots of good information, but more targeted on Goldens....good luck....be aware that once you go GOLD you never go back!

Back to the OP's question. Goldens love some drills

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCHeaWHYht8

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FYZzioYqJJg

as long as they involve hats, dress, tutu's, bandanas. The key is finding the style and music they like best.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Can you use choke chains on Goldens?
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Here is my Golden, Kona testing out his new blind and stand last night.
    As far as training, his pedigree is what sold me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    Can you use choke chains on Goldens?
    Yep, but no need to...they are not as 'hard headed' as Labs!

lab says....
    "gotta get the bird gotta get the bird gotta get the bird"
    golden says....
    "the square root of the distance to the gun station plus the square root of the distance to the AOF equals the distance I need to travel to land exactly on the bird"

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com