The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: With all the traveling we do, thought emergency info for smart phone would be useful

Default With all the traveling we do, thought emergency info for smart phone would be useful

I got this in an email today from our local Emergency Management Coordinator.
    Web, Mobile and social media ways to get emergency information.

FEMA

WEB
    www.fema.gov www.ready.gov www.disasterassistance.gov

Mobile-these are good all over the United States. Pass on to friends and relatives. Keep for yourself while on vacation.

Mobile site m.fema.gov, Text Messages, Smartphone App

Search for open shelters and open FEMA disaster recovery centers.

Text SHELTER and your zip code to 43362 (4FEMA)Really great to have if you are not familiar with the area.

Text DRC and your zip code to 43362 (4FEMA)(std data/msg rates apply)

Signup to receive safety tips

Hurricanes: text HURRICANE to 43362 (4FEMA)

Home fires: text FIRE to 43362 (4FEMA)

Wildfires: text WILDFIRE to 43362 (4FEMA)

Tornadoes: text TORNADO to 43362 (4FEMA)

Earthquakes: text EARTHQUAKE to 43362 (4FEMA)

Winter storms and extreme cold: text WINTER to 43362 (4FEMA)

Power outages: text BLACKOUT to 43362 (4FEMA)

Floods: text FLOOD to 43362 (4FEMA)

General monthly safety tips: text PREPARE to 43362 (4FEMA)

Social Media: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube

Centralized place where featured emergency management social media conversations happening right now.

 FEMA LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/company/fema

 Ready Facebook www.facebook.com/readygov

 CDP Twitter www.twitter.com/cdpfema @cdpfema

Disaster Reporter, how to become a disaster reporter (This is for FEMA only)

RED CROSS

Tornado App:

The Tornado App gives you instant access to local and real time information on what to do before, during and after tornadoes - whether it’s in the community where you live or where you love to vacation.

The app has a number of features including a high-pitched siren and “tornado warning!” alert that signals when a NOAA tornado warning is in effect. An “all clear!” alert lets users know when a tornado warning has expired or has been cancelled. People who are out of harm’s way can quickly tap the “I’m safe” button to send a message letting loved ones and friends know they are okay.

People across the country can now receive location-based NOAA tornado, severe thunderstorm and flood alerts on their mobile devices and share them on their social networks. Users can share vital information via Facebook, Twitter, text and email. Even if someone doesn’t live in a tornado-prone area, users can have peace of mind knowing they’ll have instant information about loved ones who live in other parts of the country.

Other features of the app include:

• Simple steps and checklists people can use to create an emergency plan and share it with household members;
    • Enhanced weather maps and information provided by Weather Underground, a digital brand of The Weather Company;
    • Preloaded preparedness content that gives instant access to critical action steps even without mobile connectivity;
    • Toolkit with a flashlight, a strobe light and an audible alarm; and
    • Locations of open Red Cross shelters.

People have not only downloaded the Red Cross Tornado Apps, but have used them to track storms, let loved ones know that they are safe, and access other recovery resources.

First Aid App:

The official American Red Cross First Aid app puts expert advice for everyday emergencies in your hand. It gives you instant access to the information you need to know to handle the most common first aid emergencies. With videos, interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it’s never been easier to know first aid.

Other features of the app include:

• Simple step-by-step instructions guide you through everyday first aid scenarios.
    • Fully integrated with 911 so you can call EMS from the app at any time.
    • Videos and animations make learning first aid fun and easy.
    • Safety tips for everything, from severe winter weather to earthquakes and tornadoes help you prepare for emergencies.
    • Preloaded content means you have instant access to all safety information at any time, even without reception or an Internet connection.
    • Interactive quizzes allow you to earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your lifesaving knowledge.

In addition to the Tornado App and First Aid App, the Red Cross also has an Earthquake App which can be found in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store for Android by searching for American Red Cross or by going to redcross.org/mobileapps.
    Last edited by Jeannie Greenlee; 08-30-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

DANG Jeannie! That had to have taken you a while to type up! Thanks for the info!!!
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Thank you! I copy and pasted and sent it in a an email to myself, so I have it on my phone!
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.