The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Electric fence and E-collar training

Default Electric fence and E-collar training

I've never had an electric fence so I've never really wondered about consequences of using a fence and how it could hurt training a young dog CC. A buddy is installing the fence, (Mother in law moved in with a disobedient dog) and so they are going to fence in the yard. His 6 month old pup will begin CC soon and I told him to hold off on adding her to the Fence training until I received some feedback.

Here are my thoughts - being shocked from a fence is supposed to stop a dog in its tracks and teach it to go no further, boundaries. If he were to teach the fence first, or at all, could this hurt progression with CC and potentially make the dog stop dead in its tracks when there is a collar correction?

Looking forward to some thoughts!

Bob
    Bob Owens
    President- Lone Duck Outfitters
    "Sharing Your Passion For The Unspoken Bond"
    www.loneduckoutfitters.com

I just put one in my yard in April. At the time, I was just starting to CC my 6 month old lab pup and I also have a 5 year lab. It was actually easier for me to train the pup on the fence than my older dog.

Part of the training for the fence involved me going into the "shock" zone with a treat to see if they would take the bait. If the pup decides to take the bait, he would run back to the safe zone. If my older dog took the bait, he would heel up to me in the shock zone because he had already been CC'ed to heel and de-bolted.

For the older dog, I ended up having a helper go into the shock zone while I stayed in the safe zone and that worked fine.
    John

UH HR Candlewood's Triple Deke Rosen - Puck
    Triple Deke's You'll Shoot Ur Eye Out - Ralphie

Bob all my dogs other then the pup are CC and I have an e-fence. I CC first since training was my priority and I wanted them to understand how turn off the pressure and complying to my commands with the nick enforcement. I then transitioned them to the e-fence with my "no" command around the boudry. There are no issues yet that I can realate to the efence. I too was originally worried about confusion especially when I started force to pile and force to water but i think its really an issue of the nick enforcdeing your command whether its "BACK" to pile or a "no" when approaching the yard boundry. The dog is complying with a command you conditioned them to and the ecollar charge is just the enforcement. If you think about it we nick them to sit and nick them to force on back ... to completely different events we are influencing without confusion (most ofthe time ).

And they don't forget. Cane even after after 5 months south with the trainer came home and would not venture near the boundary lines!! But others here may have different experiences and certainly much more experience than I do .. but for what its worth for me so far its not been an issue.

good luck
    Muck Madness Retrievers
    Mark Berger
    Chittenango, NY

Emerald City Reba, SH
    Emerald City Rosie SH
    Muck Madness Hurricane SH ... "Cane"
    Muck Madness Bailey's Irish Cream ... Bailey

www.muckmadnessretrievers.com

"How you do anything is how you will do everything".

I have an e-fence for an older dog I have. I purposely did not put the BLF on the efence because when training in the yard, if a bumper was thrown to close to the "shock zone" i was afraid of any negative impact this would have on her retrieving.

My dog is e-fenced and cc'd. He knows the difference between the boundary of the fence and the collar. I would not worry about it to much - dog will hit the fence a couple times and know what is up. I let mine find it on his own with no collars on. Mine is a visible wire along the top of the fence and he will actually walk the boundary looking at the wire. I don't think he even associates the fence shock with cc training. Least not that I can tell. Definitely not any negative connection between the two. An he quit trying to jump the fence after just a couple tries. I don't even keep the fence plugged in any more - just a dummy wire up.

Quote Originally Posted by BobOwens View Post
    I've never had an electric fence so I've never really wondered about consequences of using a fence and how it could hurt training a young dog CC. A buddy is installing the fence, (Mother in law moved in with a disobedient dog) and so they are going to fence in the yard. His 6 month old pup will begin CC soon and I told him to hold off on adding her to the Fence training until I received some feedback.

Here are my thoughts - being shocked from a fence is supposed to stop a dog in its tracks and teach it to go no further, boundaries. If he were to teach the fence first, or at all, could this hurt progression with CC and potentially make the dog stop dead in its tracks when there is a collar correction?

Looking forward to some thoughts!

Bob
    I have one. Part of the training is to put flags up so they get a visual for a while of the boundry and then after a period of time the flags are incrementaly removed until all gone. They also receive tone before the stimulation. So in the end when fully trained to the fence they have a mental picture (from the initial visual flags) of the boundry and hear a tone if they encroach upon that mental boundry to close, and if closer still well you know what happens. This did not interfere with the retriever training when wearing an ecollar. All retriever training is done outside the e-fence so there is no association between it and stimulation from the fence.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Thanks for the comments - Makes sense. I feel like Mark made some real good points. I'm thinking CC first then fence... But the two can be used simultaneously after some time. Thanks again!
    Bob Owens
    President- Lone Duck Outfitters
    "Sharing Your Passion For The Unspoken Bond"
    www.loneduckoutfitters.com

I used a bark collar on my first pup before she was CC because she barked when she was waiting her turn at training, whether staked out watching or out of sight in the car. The bark collar worked wonders, and there was no problem later when I decided to CC. I actually think it helped her understand the E collar and the concept of turning it off. So I think the fence and collar would also be mutually reinforcing the concept of turning off pressure.