The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: cut pad

Default cut pad

Any ideas on how to care for a cut pad.

I always treat it like I would treat my own child. Hydrogen peroxide, neosporin, gauze pad and wrap very heavily with tape. The last time my "fire breather" cut her pad I had to add a sock that belonged to my 1 year old child. The key I found was to not take the bandages off for at least 24 hours. This seemed to help it heal faster. The first time I wanted to re-do the bandages every morning and evening which seemed to slow the healing. Just my 2 cents.
    HRCH "Kennedy" MH

Depends on how deep. If too deep it's vet time. Otherwise clean, cut away any dead tissue, ragged edges. I use Musher's Secret. Makes a coating over the wound. Promotes healing. Still look at a week to 1 1/2 weeks off.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Be patient. In my experience pads take a long time to heal

After the cut is cleaned with hydrogen peroxide, and ragged tissue removed, superglue it closed. Buy some cheap dog boots, tape the boot on. Wrap the entire boot with tape, but be careful that you don't get it too tight and cut off circulation.

The boot may last up to three days or so depending on how good your tape job was and how determined your dog is to get it off. Whenever it does come off, superglue the cut again and put on another boot.

It took about 10 or 12 days and all four boots to get my dog's pad healed.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Use hydrogen peroxide to clean. Then use bag balm ointment it seems to work well. The biggest thing to do is give it time.

Try and find the spray Granulix. Fantastic stuff.

To those who propose primary wound closure with sutures, skin staples, or tissue glue do not use hydrogen peroxide, it damages tissue and delays primary wound healing, it should only be used on an open wound that will heal as an open wound. If you plan on primary wound closure the wound should be thoroughly irrigated with sterile physiological saline solution (PSS).

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    To those who propose primary wound closure with sutures, skin staples, or tissue glue do not use hydrogen peroxide, it damages tissue and delays primary wound healing, it should only be used on an open wound that will heal as an open wound. If you plan on primary wound closure the wound should be thoroughly irrigated with sterile physiological saline solution (PSS).
    Thanks. I learn things from your posts on a regular basis.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill