The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking hard at this place for a duck hunt. Opinions?

Default Looking hard at this place for a duck hunt. Opinions?

http://www.fowlhabitoutdoors.com/index.html Not sure if anyone has hunted with these guys but I'm looking for some input. 5 to 6 of us are going down right after of the 1st of the year. We'll go unguided and bring down our own gear. Anyone who has input on their setup I'd like to hear about it. Please PM . Not looking to bash anyone just trying to find a good place to hunt for 4 or 5 days. Thanks, Danny

Best thing is contact them and get in contact with others who have hunted there. My issue with the way they run it is guys who don't know how to hunt ducks. ie over calling, sky busting and heavy pressure.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

You will be better served going with a fully guided hunt. Pay the extra $ and have a good time.
    The outfitter and guides will be better prepared to hunt the way you need to be successful. If you are going all that way and taking the time, you ough to do it right. You guys may be great and experienced hunters, but the locals and pros give you a better chance of a good trip.
    I don't know these guys, but don't expect to get the best blinds or timber holes. If they have a group or groups that are paying full fare, repeat clients, big corporate accounts, they will get the hot spots. Just human nature and good business. You get what you pay for.
    MP
    Last edited by Mike Perry; 08-14-2013 at 08:35 AM.
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

I have never been hunting with them, but I am on two different duck hunting sites and they are well thought of on both of them. Check out TNDucks.com and Refugeforums.com and search use the search for Fowl Habit Outdoors.

These guys will put you on the birds. Just contact Josh or Bradndon and book it. If the birds are there you won't be disappointed. Let them know exactly what you are wanting to do and they will work as hard as possible to make it happen.
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Thanks for the input folks. We've been hunting for quite a few years in or around Reelfoot Lake Tn. We have buddies that were born and raised in that area that we hunt with when we go down. Yes the locals definitely have the advantage . We've hunted the lake / pit blinds in flooded ag fields and some sloughs next to the Mississippi. Each one of those places calls for a different style of hunting so you guys are right about knowing what works in a certain area.This place in Arkansas is within a couple of hours of there I think. We like to do as much as we can on our own. Makes for a more fulfilling hunt. If we shoot a few less birds than the next guy that's OK. Not saying we're great but we certainly won't hurt you if we're hunting in the same area and hope the people around us do the same. Question for Brad. How many dozen deeks do we need for a decent spread in that area. We have a lot of gear but I've seen some huge spreads when we hunted Tn so we may be a little short there. Thanks, Danny

Josh Foster is a member of our club and an officer in the club he is the most standup hard working guy you will meet. I haven't personally been there yet. Nationals keep getting in the way of my days off! But I can attest that he will work harder than most at getting you on birds.
    He is honest and trustworthy which I wont say about many people.
    Chad
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

Well my mind is made up. Think we'll be locking in our dates shortly . Thanks for the replies. Danny

Danny, if I'm not mistaken you won't need to bring your own decoys. They will have a spread set up for you. You might want to bring some mojos and you may have to shift the spread around, depending on the conditions. Enjoy!
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

I hunted with them last year and we had a great hunt. They provide the blind and the decoy spread but you can bring your own to supplement if you want. The first day our spot was not working out and I called the co-owner who was on another property. When he found out the ducks were not cooperating he gave us directions to where he was hunting with his boy and invited us to come hunt with them. We all shot a nice mess of ducks and he gave us his spot the next day as well and we killed out again. I am also in the NETRC with Josh and he is a straight shooter. Me and my buddies are going back to hunt with them this Dec. Highly recommended.
    I think they were all made to shoot because if they were not why did they give them that whirr of wings that moves you suddenly more than any love of country . . . I think that they were made to shoot and some of us were made to shoot them and if that is not so well, never say we did not tell you that we liked it.

E. Hemingway