The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NE Maryland Trainers

Default NE Maryland Trainers

After what seems forever, I've finally put a deposit down on a new pup which will be ready to go home in the middle of September. Over the past few months, I have been trying to read and absorb as much as possible from this forum. This will be my first dog to train formally and I realize that I am a complete newbie at this. The one suggestion that I see over and over is that a trainer can be a huge help with reading a dog and adjusting the training to fit the dog - something that comes only comes with experience.

I know there are several good trainers in the DE, MD, southeastern PA area. My question is if there are any trainers that do not require the dog to be sent away to complete basics and transition? I would like to work with the dog and learn as much as possible. My goal at this point is just to get a JH level dog and re-evaluate once we get there. I have no grand illusions of getting to the Nat Amateurs with my first dog. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

If you do not want to send your dog away and your goal is to get to the JH level I would suggest that you join your local retriever club, hook up with some good training partners, have fun and train the dog yourself.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look into a club in the area.

My brother has a Pudelpointer. Really neat dogs. I have never seen another one around.

Where did your brother get his Pudelpointer from? I have 2 of them, they are great dogs. I always had retrievers and played the FT game in the late 80's ealy 90's. Never thought I would ever own anything but a retriever until my son wanted a pointing dog. I decided on the PP and I am hooked. Good luck with your pup, you should be able to put a JH title on your dog faily easly. I think you will appreciate it much more if you do it yourself. If you decided you wanted a FT dog then I would say send your dog to a good pro but for a JH or SH dog you can do yourself and will have much more fun and will learn so much more.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that a JH title comes fairly easy. I would love to get him to MH level but right now I'm planning on just taking it one step at a time, moving at our own pace and enjoying the ride.

I'm not sure of the name of the breeder but I know that he flew him in from Georgia. From what I understand, there are only a handful of breeders in the country to choose from. His fur looks much shorter than the dog in your avatar. A lot of people think he's a chocolate lab with a beard.

Some are smooth, some are wooley and then everything inbetween. Both my dogs have medium coats. My male is a Prize 1 NAVHDA UT dog and my pup is a NA prize 1 dog. What part of the country does your brother hail from?

Jeff, congratulations on getting a new pup. You might want to give Kay Sweezey a call. She's located in Chestertown and I believe she doesn't require you leave the dog and will help you learn how to train your dog. If you want her number, please call me at 410-four-six-three-0340. If you are looking for a local hunt test/field trial club that enjoys welcoming new people to the sport, consider Maryland Retriever Club. We have several amateur training groups that get together several days throughout the week that you can get hooked up with. Where are you located?
    AFC Black Magic's Return to Lender "Repo"
    Candlewoods Fox-C Mel, MH QAA "Mel"

Quote Originally Posted by nautiquexl View Post
    After what seems forever, I've finally put a deposit down on a new pup which will be ready to go home in the middle of September. Over the past few months, I have been trying to read and absorb as much as possible from this forum. This will be my first dog to train formally and I realize that I am a complete newbie at this. The one suggestion that I see over and over is that a trainer can be a huge help with reading a dog and adjusting the training to fit the dog - something that comes only comes with experience.

I know there are several good trainers in the DE, MD, southeastern PA area. My question is if there are any trainers that do not require the dog to be sent away to complete basics and transition? I would like to work with the dog and learn as much as possible. My goal at this point is just to get a JH level dog and re-evaluate once we get there. I have no grand illusions of getting to the Nat Amateurs with my first dog. Thanks in advance.

Jeff
    Try Patty Jordan in Port Deposit MD ....

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Kay Sweezey has worked with my dog and now new pup since last October, she does a great job.
    Dale Long

Long's Riptide Charlie Brown SH
    Ranger's Black as the Midnight Sky

lbbuckler, I tried to send you a PM but don't have enough posts yet. When would be a good time to call for Kay's number? I also have a few questions about the Maryland Retriever Club. I'm located north of Elkton, up towards Fair Hill. I really appreciate you offering to take the time to discuss with me.

Pudelpointer, my brother recently moved to Canton, PA not too far from Williamsport.