The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Retriever Hunt Test Changes Approved - Effective 9/1/2013

You should keep the score sheets in case there is a protest by a handler after the fact. I have seen handlers protesting the decision to the AKC after the fact. If you have your score sheet and can prove that the numbers don't work out, the AKC will stand behind you. In one case I chaired an event where a handler sent us a video of what they considered passing work. The judges both had their score sheets and were able to explain why the trainability score didn't reach a qualifying score. We hope that no one ever waits until after an event to question the judges' decision, but it does happen.
    Terry Johansson
    Just in Case Retrievers

well...there may be more to come in the future...http://www.akc.org/events/titles.cfm?v_page_titles=2

http://images.akc.org/pdf/events/hun...tles_Intro.pdf

JHA Junior Hunter Advanced
    An advanced title is earned when a dog passes an additional 5 times with an average qualifying score of 8.0 or higher after earning its JH.
    [ Hunting Test ]

MHA Master Hunter Advanced
    An advanced title is earned when a dog passes an additional 5 times with an average qualifying score of 8.0 or higher after earning its MH.
    [ Hunting Test ]

SHA Senior Hunter Advanced
    An advanced title is earned when a dog passes an additional 5 times with an average qualifying score of 8.0 or higher after earning its SH.
    [ Hunting Test ]
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarwoods View Post
    You should keep the score sheets in case there is a protest by a handler after the fact. I have seen handlers protesting the decision to the AKC after the fact. If you have your score sheet and can prove that the numbers don't work out, the AKC will stand behind you. In one case I chaired an event where a handler sent us a video of what they considered passing work. The judges both had their score sheets and were able to explain why the trainability score didn't reach a qualifying score. We hope that no one ever waits until after an event to question the judges' decision, but it does happen.
    There is nothing in the HT regs - currently - that provides for a "protest" against a judge's decision. If you "saw" handlers protesting a decision to the AKC I'd be interested in what the response was. At the end of the day, it's a matter of opinion as to what was, or was not, passing work.

[QUOTE=Cedarswamp;1136047]well...there may be more to come in the future...http://www.akc.org/events/titles.cfm?v_page_titles=2

The "advanced" titles are for spaniels who pass 5 additional tests with an average score of 8 or better, but can't step up to the next level. I have no experience with spaniel HTs so can't comment on the merits of adding such intermediate titles, but it's consistent with the AKC's propensity for ''title creep." I would not want to see the retriever hunt test program burdened with them.
    But while we're at it, how about a "not-so advanced" title for dogs that earn 7.5? A JHNSA adds lots of letters. Or even better, a title for those who can't quite make a passing grade? Something like a JHABNYQ - Junior Hunter Almost But Not Yet Qualified." Heck, you could award that to any dog after they enter their first test! Think of all the $20 certificates you could sell!
    Sheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarwoods View Post
    I think not. As pointed out above, the judging is an opinion and the score is what the judge writes down. I would love to hear your story of someone "protesting the decision to the AKC after the fact" and having it overturned.

More importantly its a hunt test for Christ sake. Who protest not passing a hunt test to the AKC? It take two judges to pass or fail a dog.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Good Dogs, I know exactly what the "Advanced" titles are for...to keep people playing that can't move up (could be a good thing for a "newbie"), I also see it as a revenue generator. And another headache for the judges. I don't mind the "extra" for the kids. Would I do it for my old dog that is/was rock solid on triples/quads at home training (solo training, was not exposed to large groups as a young dog) and out hunting, but breaks on water, and possibly flyers at the hunt tests...no...not worth the extra $$ to me...she'll just keep her JH title...unless IF the kids worked with her and wanted to run her, but as of right now she's in semi-retirement...hunting dog only status...
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    I would not want to see the retriever hunt test program burdened with them.
    No kidding. Reading the rules, it is a huge paperwork PITA. If your dog gets the scores, you have to track down the HT secretary to sign a form to send into the AKC. It is not like the HTSEC doesn't already have a paperwork load at the end of a test.

I would bet you a cold beer on this coming for retrievers--it certainly explains why they are making the judges do all the writing and keep the sheets.

This "advanced" title might just be the AKC's most blatant display of avarice yet! If you can't or won't attempt to move up a level you need to find another hobby where skill (canine or human) is not required. Go play Bingo! Even child handlers can step up a level as they grow. You say it will "keep them in the game"? They are not IN the game if not training to improve. This from someone who has gotten her tail whipped many times, but keeps plugging along.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cedarswamp View Post
    Good Dogs, I know exactly what the "Advanced" titles are for...to keep people playing that can't move up (could be a good thing for a "newbie"), I also see it as a revenue generator. And another headache for the judges. I don't mind the "extra" for the kids. Would I do it for my old dog that is/was rock solid on triples/quads at home training (solo training, was not exposed to large groups as a young dog) and out hunting, but breaks on water, and possibly flyers at the hunt tests...no...not worth the extra $$ to me...she'll just keep her JH title...unless IF the kids worked with her and wanted to run her, but as of right now she's in semi-retirement...hunting dog only status...
    the golden gallery will love the advanced jr and sr titles. I doubt this will happen simply because of the crazy additional work involved. For the advanced master they would not only have to keep track of passes, but points. Hunt test judges and secretaries are not paid and I don't think any club is going to want to jump on this tran and add work to volunteers who are already over worked.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Just another money generator if you ask me. JMHO.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.