The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e collar to hear

Default e collar to hear

Hello,,I'm new to the site and training. I've been following Rick Stawski (fowl dogs) and feel things were well. I have completed hold while doing on and now collar conditioning. Sit seems to be working,making his response snappy. But started hear a couple days ago...needed it after conditioning to sit I was having to tug the lead to get him started. I'm nicking,like the video,I have read to use continuous and hold while calling until he gets to you...what about this???? Any help will be appreciated.

Give it time, and don't rush it ! He's doing what you told him to do and that's "SIT" He's over responding due to the pressure sounds like. Teach him first before you collar condtion. Did you treat train your pup ? and did he have a full understanding of the commands before you collar condtioned ? Also did you Force Fetch ? or just do "Hold" and go to Collar Condtioning ? If so, My opnion is the pup learns alot about pressure, and turning it off during Force Fetch !

I am by no means a expert ! Far from it. I have watched Fowl Dawgs, and also follow Smartworks. "Smartworks" Collar condtions to Here at an earlier age, and uses continous stimulation like you mentioned. But if your following Fowl Dawgs do it how your program shows you, And dont "SKIP" anything ! The programs are set up to teach your dog in steps, and that includes condtioning them to pressure, and how to turn the pressure off !

This may be what's going on and your pup does not understand what he's being zapped for, or what to do to make it stop.

Im sure someone else with more experience will chime in, but this is my take on it.
    Last edited by Mac Lassiter; 08-15-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Dog's have a good sense of hearing. You should start by telling him "here".

An e-collar definitely helps my dog hear better.
    Kenneth Farris

If my dog only knew what he could get..........
    HRCH South Wind Brody Jo MH

Quote Originally Posted by duckdawg27 View Post
    An e-collar definitely helps my dog hear better.
    Or hear at all. Looking forward to training with you guys on Saturday Mr. Farris. Have you heard from Mr. Dillard?
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

This morn session went better I turned my old sportdog 400 down to 2. Seemed to be more relaxed..still real sticky on hear. I got started late with Cotton(ylw male) he's 1yr 3months. I have skipped ff,went from hold to collar condition.. Panic set in wanting him ready for dove session. Thanks for the input,maybe going on to ff will teach him to stop the pressure. Still freaked out I've runt him,he was doing so well,until I turned the collar on.

Teach seat first.

Jerry- be careful skipping steps in programs. Trainers put them in these orders bc they are proven to work.
    OWNED BY:
    Longhorn Lacey's Boomerang "Boomer"
    Brio's Jollycurl to Bravo First Over Under SH WCQ "Parker"
    Brio's Bravo to the Lookout "Cora"

Kyle Crump

Don't keep burning him as he's coming in. Let off as soon as he turns to come.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

Quote Originally Posted by jerry ray View Post
    This morn session went better I turned my old sportdog 400 down to 2. Seemed to be more relaxed..still real sticky on hear. I got started late with Cotton(ylw male) he's 1yr 3months. I have skipped ff,went from hold to collar condition.. Panic set in wanting him ready for dove session. Thanks for the input,maybe going on to ff will teach him to stop the pressure. Still freaked out I've runt him,he was doing so well,until I turned the collar on.
    thats a recipe for disaster.