The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keystone XL Pipeline

Default Keystone XL Pipeline

Unless we say the President is dumb, he must be nuts.

We have now found that North America is not the only place where there are untapped deposits of gas and oil that dwarf what we thought existed. So, if the US doesn't produce it, somebody else will. Further, the developing countries of India and China are going to burn whatever carbon they can lay their hands on.

It has to be another lie that he said his energy policy would be "all of the above" ... as he's doing a great job of keeping the lid on carbon-based energy.

The president, in an interview Saturday with the New York Times, repeated his position that the administration’s decision will be “based on whether or not this is going to significantly contribute to carbon in our atmosphere.”(As far as I can recall Congress did not pass any law that predicated energy production based on carbon emissions into the atmosphere. Did I miss something?)

However, he also took a swipe at what he described as the Republicans’ argument that Keystone would be a “big jobs generator.”
    “There is no evidence that that's true,” Obama said, arguing the best estimate is 2,000 initial construction jobs followed by no more than an additional 100 jobs. The newspaper's transcript of the interview showed Obama chuckling as he made the point.

“That is a blip relative to the need,” he said. (So, is there something else he has in mind to create some jobs? So far nothing has materialized.)

His estimate is significantly lower than his own State Department’s projection of 42,000 constructions jobs and way smaller than the 118,935 that project developer TransCanada expects.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2aU7fTdbA
    The part of the pipeline that is already under construction (that didn't need State Dept. approval), has already generated 4,000 jobs, according to this article.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

From Politico:

He also said Canada “could potentially be doing more” to counteract the greenhouse gas emissions being unleashed from Alberta’s oil sands, the major reason for climate activists’ outrage at the pipeline.

Concessions by Canada could include an effort to capture and store the carbon dioxide generated by drilling in the oil sands, former White House environmental aide Elliot Diringer said Monday.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...#ixzz2aYv1Tekh

I wonder if Canada's other potential customers are trying to tell the Canadians how they must drill their oil? or treat their finished product?

The president also said the crude oil the pipeline carries will end up being sold on world markets after it’s refined in Texas — a longtime argument of Keystone’s opponents.

“So it does not bring down gas prices here in the United States,” Obama said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...#ixzz2aYtzwJEg
    However, it would stand to reason that if the POTUS' immigration plans don't fly, the jobs in those refineries will be more Americans employed. And even if gas prices don't go down a lot, people with good-paying jobs will be better able to deal with the financial hardship of high gas prices.

Some are interpreting this as the POTUS looking for a way to approve the pipeline while still appeasing his environmentalist constituency. It could also be interpreted as trying to find ways to continue NOT to approve it, but attaching an endless ball of red tape for the Canadians.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Yup ... not until maybe 2015
    The State Department’s Office of Inspector General announced Friday it does not expect to release the results of an investigation into a possible conflict of interest in the department’s Keystone XL pipeline review until January—a move that could delay a final decision on the project until next year.Earlier this month, the OIG began an inquiry into allegations made by the Sierra Club and other environmental groups that Environmental Resources Management, a consulting firm hired to produce the draft environmental impact statement for the pipeline, had ties to TransCanada Corp. and the American Petroleum Institute, two organizations with a key stake in the project. …
    The conflict-of-interest inquiry and the State Department’s review of the pipeline have been ongoing, and State has not yet said when it will make a final determination on Keystone XL. But Friday’s announcement that the OIG investigation results won’t be released until January makes it likely that a decision on the project will be pushed back to 2014.

The author of the article adds his opinion:
    Would anyone like to put money on them finding convenient reasons to continue punting past the 2014 midterms? Anyone? Gotta’ keep reaping those big green-minded donors’ cash to help with Democrats’ campaigns before the midterms, you know — why risk alienating any competing interest groups now?

They do keep finding ways to delay this.

Maybe Cruz & Co. are wrong about defunding O-care. Maybe they should just bring up a vote to "delay" O-care implementation. Obama has already done that for things he deems untimely. The D's would love that, since a lot of them are not so keen on delaying the employer mandate without also delaying the individual mandate. I bet they'd jump on board. Delay seems to work real well.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Unless we say the President is dumb, he must be nuts.

We have now found that North America is not the only place where there are untapped deposits of gas and oil that dwarf what we thought existed. So, if the US doesn't produce it, somebody else will. Further, the developing countries of India and China are going to burn whatever carbon they can lay their hands on.

It has to be another lie that he said his energy policy would be "all of the above" ... as he's doing a great job of keeping the lid on carbon-based energy.

The part of the pipeline that is already under construction (that didn't need State Dept. approval), has already generated 4,000 jobs, according to this article.
    Buffett just took a significant position in Suncor, one of the major lease holders in the tar sands. Buffett is also a huge BHO supporter - recognize that what happens to Keystone will be what's good for Buffett .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

That oil is going to go somewhere. I think XL will ultimately be approved ... but will it be approved before Canada's oil is committed to another route?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    That oil is going to go somewhere. I think XL will ultimately be approved ... but will it be approved before Canada's oil is committed to another route?
    The major objection has come from the State of Nebraska when the original route was going to go through the Sand Hills. The sand Hills are a Paleo-desert with its dunes anchored in place by grass. If that cover is disturbed, then severe wind borne erosion is possible. A new route through Nebraska awaits approval.

The pipeline will be built sooner or later. The threat that Canada will build the pipeline is pretty much trash talk like sport teams threats to leave town if they don't get a stadium at public expense. Any route out of Alberta / Saskatchewan would be prohibitively expensive, except to go south through the US. But, getting back to cheaper fuel with the pipeline is all hype. When that crude reaches salt water it will be shipped any where in the world and it is likely only a trickle will end up here..
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    The major objection has come from the State of Nebraska when the original route was going to go through the Sand Hills. The sand Hills are a Paleo-desert with its dunes anchored in place by grass. If that cover is disturbed, then severe wind borne erosion is possible. A new route through Nebraska awaits approval.
    That's almost comical it's so cliche'.

Any new route will have some one eyed newt, thought to be extinct for years or some such drivel. It's the modus operandi of the anti everything crowd. Just like in Texas where they stopped that highway project for ONE spider. Believe I would of stepped on that thing.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    That's almost comical it's so cliche'.

Any new route will have some one eyed newt, thought to be extinct for years or some such drivel. It's the modus operandi of the anti everything crowd. Just like in Texas where they stopped that highway project for ONE spider. Believe I would of stepped on that thing.
    Ever been to the Sand Hills, Bill?
    Zeus

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Ever been to the Sand Hills, Bill?
    I never have been there but is the area that already has a bunch of natural gass pipelines running through it with no problems? Just asking.

The place is also blessed with a shallow water table. I have been there as well as doing digital terrain models of the Sand Hills for flight systems.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 08-25-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    Zeus