The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: 7 month old BLF gagging/choking during water retrieves

Default 7 month old BLF gagging/choking during water retrieves

Like the title says I have a 7 month old BLF that is gagging and choking during her water retrieves. She's been doing this since she started swimming at about 4 months old. She's also swallowing air to the point you can see her sides pooched out. One good belch and you can see them go back down. My question is will she out grow this? This is my fourth lab and I've never seen one do this so I'm getting pretty concerned. I originally thought she would out grow it but here we are at 7 months old and she's still doing it. Its like she hasn't figured out to breath through her nose(or however they do it). It hasn't affected her drive to water retrieve but I'm afraid it could. Could it? She does the same thing with a 3" bumper but she does much better when she has a duck in her mouth. Should I keep swimming her to let her learn? Right now we swim probably 3-4 times a week. I've been doing short retrieves,20 yards max but most of them 10-15 just trying to let her learn how to swim with a bumper/bird. Thoughts or suggestions.

I have a large male who would seem to drink the pond when he swam. Eventually he learned to not do this. Give it some time and your pup will probably figure it out. He was almost 2 before he stopped doing it. I've not had any reluctance going for water retrieves and as they mature I think the drive to retrieve makes them better swimmers. Anyways I'd preach patience.
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

Normal. as stated above they get to be better swimmers and mature out of it. This way you do not have to water the dog after training.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

My 8 Month Old Female does the same thing, she is getting better though every time out.
    "MAC"
    SHR Mac's Scars To Prove It (Josie)

Thanks. I'll keep doing what I've been doing and hope she grows out of it.

my pup does it too. getting better.

Yeah mine too. They have to learn to breath out of their nose when retrieving in the water. Takes time

Thanks again folks. Makes me feel better that nothing is wrong I was just getting concerned because I hadn't seen this in my other labs.

Understand that their first experience is very important one. What you do next is to show him or her what they are doing is sooooooooooooo satisfying to you by your expressions. Don't let them down....