The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post spay care and recovery

Default Post spay care and recovery

I haven't had a female in 10 years and my last one was spayed young, don't really remember the recovery. I now have a 16 month old female that has been through a heat 5 months ago that I am wanting to get spayed. Anything special for recovery? Clearly my vet will go over this, I adjust getting prepared. Crate for 2 days leash potty breaks only? Are cones needed? Vet seemed to think she would be fine without a cone. How long before resuming normal activity,or how long before long on leash walks etc? Thanks RTF

I always waited 10-14 days before any thing off leash. They hated it but that's the way it is. After that it just a few short retrieves for a few more days.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Ok, so feasible to hunt her late September? What about around the house, jumping on couches etc? How careful need to be.

They can't get in the water till stitches are out. Make her take it easy: no jumping on/off bed and steps. We assisted pur girls on/off couches till stitches came out. We didnt need a come- neither girl attempted to chew stitches. Ask for a couple of days of pain meds if not offered- some dogs seem to really need it and not all vets send you home with it. Consider many days of crate/leash rest will decrease her stamina and muscle mass. So she'll need some conditioning.

Im not sure where they cut them and stitch them at, but when my male had an ubstruction surgery and another surgery We put a T shirt on him and tied it in a knot to take up slake. Didn't have any problems with him scratching stiches didn't have to use the cone

Quote Originally Posted by TXlabman View Post
    Ok, so feasible to hunt her late September? What about around the house, jumping on couches etc? How careful need to be.
    If you get it done in the next week I'd say. I didn't run either of my girls for about a month in upland per my vets instructions. It takes a little longer for the muscle to heal without worry of tearing and bleeding.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

My 5 1/2 month old BLF is 8 days post spaying procedure. The instructions I was given are no running for 7 to 10 days and no swimming for 3 weeks. The biggest cause of post op issues is related to licking the incision. If your dog licks keep the cone on, particularly when the dog is alone. My girl has had no issues and did not lick her incision but I did keep the cone on while she slept or was left alone in her kennel. My dog acted like she never had the procedure. After the first 2 days I began to work her on OB every day in my yard. Nothing strenuous just healing, sitting and some whistle work. I took her out to the training grounds today and she ran a bit retrieving about 10 marks along with some OB. She was energetic and seems to be doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TXlabman View Post
    Your are kidding...Right? What do you think?????Are you interested in what your dog can do or are you interested in what you can do to kill game? Your Dog doesn't know the difference.....He is their for you come hell or......High water.........??????/

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    Your are kidding...Right? What do you think?????Are you interested in what your dog can do or are you interested in what you can do to kill game? Your Dog doesn't know the difference.....He is their for you come hell or......High water.........??????/
    If he gets it done within the week, I don't see why he couldn't hunt her at the end of Sept. I hunted mine a month after.