The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swim by

Default Swim by

Not to hijack the other thread. Does anyone have a video of what the swim by drill looks like?
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

It's been a while since I've watched this all the way through but I think it is what you are looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJazrd5y_8

Here is another thread that I recall being a good depiction of what one trainer's application for one canine student looks like:

Swimby Training Videos

I think it's important to remember that each dog is different and as such, responses and performances will vary from dog-to-dog.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

There are bits and pieces of the process on my videos of three dogs: Huck, Hank and Rowdy.
    Some of the ones with Hank are using a make do pond.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Here is another thread that I recall being a good depiction of what one trainer's application for one canine student looks like:

Swimby Training Videos

I think it's important to remember that each dog is different and as such, responses and performances will vary from dog-to-dog.
    Times 2! Willy does a very nice job on this swim by video!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

The purpose of swim by is to re enforce control?
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day

Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    The purpose of swim by is to re enforce control?
    I would summarize it, off the top of my head, by saying that the purpose of swimby is to transfer the handling skills learned on land, to the retriever for application in the water. It installs the tools needed to help enforce lining in water and "decheat" dogs in water.

I'll come back after looking at what some of the experts say the purpose is.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I would summarize it, off the top of my head, by saying that the purpose of swimby is to transfer the handling skills learned on land, to the retriever for application in the water. It installs the tools needed to help enforce lining in water and "decheat" dogs in water.

I'll come back after looking at what some of the experts say the purpose is.

Chris
    To quote Mike Lardy in his Swimby Article form the Volume I series:
    The swim-by transfers to water the handling skills learned on double T
    Dennis Voigt writes in his Swimby Article (click link at left to view) the following:
    The Swim-by generally follows the teaching of the Double-T on land. That step prepares the dog for several of the skills that the dog will develop in the water. The Swim-by is an important pre-cursor to teaching your dog about water channels and water cheating singles. Novices, seeing the Swim-by for the first time often question the process of Swim-by and why it is necessary. Experienced trainers have learned that the Swim-by produces a dog with a readiness to stay in the water and a dog with important skills that make teaching advanced water work much easier.

To quote Mike Lardy in his Swimby Article form the Volume I series:

Dennis Voigt writes in his Swimby Article (click link at left to view) the following:
    Makes a lot of sense to me. I know I'm ahead of the game as I've just started OB with the pup, but you can't ask to many questions.

Here's you a few more from Bill Hillmann to watch. I put my 14 month old through swim by using Bill's technique earlier this summer. Very pleased with how his subsequent water work and attitude have developed. His Water Fundamentals DVD is more in-depth, but these clips give a good overview.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...-Tw_S-c6yNi58t
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net