The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AKC Senior HT Question

Vicky, if more judges took your approach, Hunt Tests we be far less frustrating for the newbie and far more instructional for the others. Just too much common sense here, where's the drama?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quite a blood bath Doug

[was asked a couple questions at the latest hunt test that I wasn't sure of.

I would like to be able to answer these correctly while the gallery is going batty.[/QUOTE]

That's what ya get for standing in the gallery and looking important.

......I'll be back sleeping in my truck regards......

[QUOTE=DMA;1136228]http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...d#/f4c3d37d/46
    2). at Seniors the land blind was ran out side of the marks, however; there was a diversion bird thrown and the blind was between one of the marks and the fall area of the diversion bird. Since the diversion bird is not a mark is this allowed?/QUOTE]

That would be outside the scope of what is envisioned for a SH test. The "no blind between the marks" is the real issue here. If a diversion is thrown outside either mark and the the blind is run up the middle between them, this is the same thing as far as the dog is concerned. He doesn't know about scoring or terminology. He simply knows there was a bird on the ground and that the handler seems to want him to go get it again and then...he's wrong.

What Senior skills are the judges testing in this set-up? Are they going to grade lower if a dog shows that the mark was there? What if he simply turns his head or deviates in course to go through the area? Hunt the old fall? Or, suppose he pops at the diversion bird? Do you really mark down for the pop at this location in SH?

Others have said it....the Senior dog is in transition between the pure but simple skills of the JH dog and the mastery of all skills and exercises of the MH dog. Why give a Senior dog a test of trainability that is really a master skill?
    Last edited by Eric Johnson; 08-16-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Is the diversion thrown before the blind is run or on the way back with blind?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    Backwater, I was speaking from a judge's point of view.

Senior is the most difficult level to set up for and to judge because it is supposed to fairly evaluate a dog that is in transition between running the tests using mostly natural skills at Junior and having excellent, trained skills to work though almost anything at the Master level. It is important to understand what a dog at the Senior level should be able to do and not set up a test beyond what their skill level should have prepared them for.

Oh the other hand, I understand, as a trainer that you should be looking toward the ultimate goal you have for your dog and working towards that level of expertise.

A judge needs to remember that we are not training, we are testing. We have to know how to set up for and evaluate the skills for each level. If a senior test is set up as a master test minus one bird, what's the point of running Senior?

As a handler, does it feel good to know that you have prepared your dog to handle master level concepts when you are running Senior tests? You bet it does, because no matter how well prepared you think you are, you know that anything can happen on test day.
    I agree and good point. I guess I come from the perspective of my dog is not quite ready on the triples but can surely handle any blind thrown my way by either a master or senior level test. I have trained way too much in my opinion on blinds due to my past fear of them and training mostly by myself. I am one who looks forward to the most difficult blind you can throw at me because I know my dog will do the blind work. But what you have stated is correct, I have never trained really for even hunt tests, my goal is QAA, and to compete and not embarrass myself at a open level in field trials. So I guess my standards I set really high for myself and my dog. if I fail a test, I'm OK with it, train, train, and train harder and learn more. I use the hunt test to see where I am at in my training level plus I have really enjoyed the people, the dog work, and the atmosphere in general.

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

Jennifer-

The diversion would be thrown when the dog is coming back from the last mark and it would appear before the dog....in effect roughly between the dog and handler.

Once the dog returns with the mark, it's sent for the diversion. Now that the diversion is picked up, a blind up the middle between one mark and the diversion would be the same as between the two marks since to the dog, a bird is a bird. At least that's how I see it.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    Jennifer-

The diversion would be thrown when the dog is coming back from the last mark and it would appear before the dog....in effect roughly between the dog and handler.

Once the dog returns with the mark, it's sent for the diversion. Now that the diversion is picked up, a blind up the middle between one mark and the diversion would be the same as between the two marks since to the dog, a bird is a bird. At least that's how I see it.
    Yes, that's how it seems! I was thinking the diversion bird was shot on way back from blind, not second mark. Two different animals!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Yes, that's how it seems! I was thinking the diversion bird was shot on way back from blind, not second mark. Two different animals!
    Diversion birds can be thrown either after the dog has been sent or is returning from a blind. They can only appear on marks when the dog is returning.