The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Questions - Size

Default Puppy Questions - Size

Hey everyone,

I just signed up for the forums, because I have a question about the size of a pup!

I just had a question for you. We're thinking about picking this little guy up. My hesitation is his size. He is 12 weeks today. I don't see that pudgy, think body. He almost looks like a proportional miniature lab right now haha!

Should we be worried? Is this normal for him to not have those big think paws, and legs? We've seen the Mother and Father dogs, and they are completely normal labs. Mom was ~70lbs, and dad was ~90lbs.

Our other lab was much bigger and more developed than this guy, at around the same age.

Any experiences?

Thanks for the help!

Could be slow growing. If pedigree and parents are normal all should be fine. May be food also.

Sometimes dogs mature a lot slower than others. He may just turn out to be a smaller guy. My lab's parents were 85 and 100lbs. He is 80lbs. and I wouldn't want him any bigger.
    OWNED BY:
    Longhorn Lacey's Boomerang "Boomer"
    Brio's Jollycurl to Bravo First Over Under JH WCX "Parker"

Kyle Crump

Quote Originally Posted by 2010Bear View Post
    Hey everyone,

My hesitation is his size. He is 12 weeks today. I don't see that pudgy, think body. He almost looks like a proportional miniature lab right now haha!

Should we be worried? Is this normal for him to not have those big think paws, and legs? We've seen the Mother and Father dogs, and they are completely normal labs. Mom was ~70lbs, and dad was ~90lbs.

Thanks for the help!
    Their look at any given age is mostly in their genetics. BUT, the way a pup is fed during its first ~9 months of age has a lasting affect on the muscle mass and "bone" the dog will have as an adult. If you want that heavy duty look in an adult, you have to feed heavy duty from the time the pup is weaned. I wouldn't be worried about whether this puppy is going to grow normally, but I can tell you that he isn't going to be heavy boned. He's going to have a lean look. If you are able to look at both parents, that's your answer. What you see in them is what you'll get in their pups.
    Jeff Jennings
    Whispering Hills Kennels
    Silverton, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by WhisperingHills View Post
    Their look at any given age is mostly in their genetics. BUT, the way a pup is fed during its first ~9 months of age has a lasting affect on the muscle mass and "bone" the dog will have as an adult. If you want that heavy duty look in an adult, you have to feed heavy duty from the time the pup is weaned. I wouldn't be worried about whether this puppy is going to grow normally, but I can tell you that he isn't going to be heavy boned. He's going to have a lean look. If you are able to look at both parents, that's your answer. What you see in them is what you'll get in their pups.
    Thank you Jeff, that's great advice. We do like the leaner look. I just wanted to make sure that getting a guy who was maybe, less developed than a lot of them you see out there, wasn't going to be bad.

Our other lab, who is 4 now, was more of the thick feet/legs, and she turned out pretty lean, at ~70 lbs.

Thank you Jeff, that's great advice. We do like the leaner look. I just wanted to make sure that getting a guy who was maybe, less developed than a lot of them you see out there, wasn't going to be bad.

Our other lab, who is 4 now, was more of the thick feet/legs, and she turned out pretty lean, at ~70 lbs.
    Another tidbit for ya' when you're choosing a pup... Not every pup in a litter is a blend of the parents' looks. Some will have a strong resemblance to one or the other parent. So if you see anything you particularly like or dislike in either parent, you need to look for that trait in the puppies. At 12 weeks old, it's harder to see, because by that age the puppies are starting onto their awkward growth stage. The best time to grade a litter for structure is somewhere between 6-1/2 to 8 weeks. Also keep in mind that NOTHING is as important as temperament. Are there other pups in the litter for you to see, or are they all gone? You want to avoid the most aggressive and the most laid back. You want a confident outgoing pup that engages with the others without appearing to be a bully.
    Jeff Jennings
    Whispering Hills Kennels
    Silverton, Oregon

Another tidbit for ya' when you're choosing a pup... Not every pup in a litter is a blend of the parents' looks. Some will have a strong resemblance to one or the other parent. So if you see anything you particularly like or dislike in either parent, you need to look for that trait in the puppies. At 12 weeks old, it's harder to see, because by that age the puppies are starting onto their awkward growth stage. The best time to grade a litter for structure is somewhere between 6-1/2 to 8 weeks. Also keep in mind that NOTHING is as important as temperament. Are there other pups in the litter for you to see, or are they all gone? You want to avoid the most aggressive and the most laid back. You want a confident outgoing pup that engages with the others without appearing to be a bully.
    Thank you for the feeback! He is a sweetheart. Just loves the wife! We made a much better connection with this guy, than the others. He's a good looking boy! I've been looking at a lot of pup pics now, and it seems like a lot of them have the body he has. He is the "runt" according to the breeder. We like having a smaller Lab, so it will work for us.

By looking at his body structure, anything jump out at you?

Thank you again!

Trevor

He is the "runt" according to the breeder. We like having a smaller Lab, so it will work for us.

By looking at his body structure, anything jump out at you?

Thank you again!

Trevor
    Being the smallest of the litter doesn't necessarily mean he will be the smallest as an adult. They grow in spurts. To your question; the photos don't give me a good profile, front, or rear view, so I can't very well see the things I look for. When you talk about structure, you're talking about things that affect the mechanics of the way the dog will move. There are many discrete things about that, and they collectively dictate the dog's agility, speed, strength in the water, and susceptibility to injury as a working dog. The skeletal structure and muscle make up the dog's suspension system. It all has to be proportionately balanced. Your pup does appear to have good length of shoulder and forearm and good rear stifle. Those are important to his movement. He has rather "weak" rib-spring, which has some affect on the way he breathes. That's about all I can really see as far as structure in the photos. One other thing that stands out to me is that is has been underfed in my opinion. Feed him a high quality puppy formula (I recommend Eukanuba or Pro Plan), and do not feed the Large Breed puppy formulas - they are too lean. Feed that boy as much as he wants. He should be eating at least 6 cups of kibble per day total. Don't make him obese, but at this age he should still be chunky looking.
    Jeff Jennings
    Whispering Hills Kennels
    Silverton, Oregon

2010bear - aside from the size of the dog...is there anything else you'd be curious to know about buying a pup and from whom, why? Or you have that covered?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Bolded by me .... I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but ,I take it as : "pour the food to him if you want a big dog". If this is correct I will disagree with you. If I mis understood your sentence I apologize,but it could be misleading to others.

That is harder on the dogs joints ,bones,stamina when training and so on. The pro I train with just had his personal dog blow an ACL and the vet at MU said the biggest factor in these type of sports injuries is weight.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "