The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt test question

Default Hunt test question

What do most of you guy do the day before a hunt test? I've trained really heard tthis hole week should I give doga day off?
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Depends on the dogs really. If I haven't already that week, I'll touch on the little things like walk ups, diversion shots/birds. I typically do a tune up drill that day and depending on what my homeowrk tells me about the judges, I'll do something to address that. I try to avoid any big corrections and throw some high confidence marks.

I am usually traveling to get to the hunt test the day before, so no training here. I can only train weekends anyway.

I am usually traveling and many times setting up the day before.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I'm Lucky this week only 30 mins away, so I don't have to travel this week.

Since you are asking I will assume you are running junior or senior and have not run many test. If that assumption is incorrect forgive me. The question you ask is difficult because all dogs are different and the same goes for handlers. My suggestion would be to just do what you would normally do. I would keep it light and easy because the day before a test is not the best time to encounter a problem that you cannot let go. Run a couple very simple marks that you are sure the dog will be successful on.
    The dog you have the day before a test is the same dog you will have the day of in that you are not going to correct a problem overnight nor are you going to fully teach something in a day.
    There is also nothing wrong with a day off. Some people will argue that a day off will increase desire the next.
    Good luck
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Singles in an ABC drill configuration. Maybe a simple blind in a key relationship fashion.
    Bert Rodgers

I have ran several test over the years, but I always do lininig drills go back and run a few water patterns and if need be a few simple marks. I was just wondering what everyone else does.

Drive to the test. Work on hotel room manners.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Stock the cooler with ample Sat. Eve refreshments. And try to remind myself that is possible to breathe while 60 or so critics and experts watch your every move while running your dog