The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craniomandibular Osteopathy

Default Craniomandibular Osteopathy

Does anyone have any experience with Craniomandibular Osteopathy (CMO) in Labs? Or would any of the vets here have any info to offer? PMs are fine. Thanks!

Four weeks ago my then four month old Lab developed a hard lump on the underside of the left side of her jaw and stopped eating. Through examination and x-rays, my vet diagnosed Craniomandibular Osteopathy (CMO) . This condition is usually found in Westies, but it can be seen in other breeds, including Labs. It is also sometimes referred to as Lion’s Jaw. The disease is believed to be autosomal recessive. I only received one response to my initial request for info on Labs with CMO, and the 8 month old affected pup turned out to be Molly’s nephew. Her sire is that dog’s grandsire. This dog has had his diagnosis of CMO confirmed by x-ray and biopsy, and his owner has given me permission to discuss his dog here.

Today we saw an orthopedist at Tuft’s, a teaching hospital, who specializes in mandible trauma and growing dog diseases. His first reaction was that it was unlikely Molly had CMO because it’s usually bilateral and it’s rarely seen in Labs. I told him about her nephew having CMO, and he changed his mind. He has asked me to see if I can locate any other Labs who have or have had the disease. In the meantime, Molly is undergoing a biopsy to see if CMO can be confirmed, and to rule out the possibility of tumors.

In this disease there is excessive, abnormal bone growth on the skull (cranium) and lower jaw (mandible). Extra bone grows on the surface of the lower jaw, making it wider and thicker. It may also affect the jaw joint (temporomandibular joint). There is usually severe pain associated with the growth.

Although the primary disease process does not cause death, I was told today that it is considered a life threatening disease because the jaw joint may fuse causing an inability to eat. When the affected dog completes its growth, the disease may become self-limiting. The growth of abnormal bone slows, often regresses, and sometimes recedes completely.

If anyone knows of any Labs that have had this condition, please let me know, by private message if you prefer to publicly posting. While the doctor is interested from a medical viewpoint, I’d love to hear from someone who has a dog that outgrew the condition and went on to be a successful retriever.

Here are some photos of Molly’s lump:

Susan-

I don't have any experience/info to offer, but I do want to say that I hope that you get the answers you need and your dog will be more than ok. I also know that this isn't a veiled attempt to slam the breeder or anyone-it's sooo not your style.

I just hope that aside from being healthy and happy-this long-awaited dog takes you where I know you & your training group are very capable of getting her to.

Best-

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Susan.....

"Molly" sure has the best of owners to help her with this.

Judy

Thanks, Miriam and Judy.

Miriam, it never crossed my mind that posting about my dog’s problem could be looked at as a slam at anyone. But pardon me as I go into protective mother tigress mode and say that even if it could be perceived that way by anyone, if my post can in anyway help my pup,..... so be it.

I have a five month old pup with a deformed jaw who cannot even eat unless she’s on rimadyl. In the three weeks she’s been on rimadyl it has gone from my sitting next to her on the floor spoon feeding her gruel, to her wolfing down food “like a Lab”, and she has already gained 13 pounds! Through this forum I'm learning that there are Labs out there with this problem that is usually seen in Westies. If that info can help with Molly's diagnosis and treatment, it will be well worth it.

I have heard of one.... but I don't know the outcome. It also was on the east coast.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Wright View Post
    Thanks, Miriam and Judy.

Miriam, it never crossed my mind that posting about my dog’s problem could be looked at as a slam at anyone. But pardon me as I go into protective mother tigress mode and say that even if it could be perceived that way by anyone, if my post can in anyway help my pup,..... so be it.

I have a five month old pup with a deformed jaw who cannot even eat unless she’s on rimadyl. In the three weeks she’s been on rimadyl it has gone from my sitting next to her on the floor spoon feeding her gruel, to her wolfing down food “like a Lab”, and she has already gained 13 pounds! Through this forum I'm learning that there are Labs out there with this problem that is usually seen in Westies. If that info can help with Molly's diagnosis and treatment, it will be well worth it.
    Susan-

PROFUSE apologies if I what I wrote was offensive. I really didn't mean it that way. I know you are just looking for help w/ Molly.

You and several others have had reason for real concern w/ your dogs and it's not lost on me that folks post about them not just for help and prayers, but as a way to help other retrievers and their owners.

Again-I'm sorry. I've had more than my share of vet visits lately too (& we'll be back the day after Thanksgiving) and I know all you ever want is to know they are going to be happy and healthy for a long, long time.

SO glad that Molly is turning around!!

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

No need to apologize, Miriam! You were being a friend making a preemptive strike at defending me from ulterior motives I hadn't considered. I figured if it crossed your mind, it would have crossed the minds of others.

Susan, thanks for responding.

I've already heard of one dog affected a few years back that made a full recovery and is now an active retriever .

Susan, I have nothing to offer but my well wishes for a complete and speedy recovery. Jim
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Since I’ve had a couple of people mention recently that they’ve been reluctant to ask about Molly for fear of getting bad news, I thought I’d make a concluding post about her CMO. Over the past 6 or 7 months, Molly developed a lump, or lesion, on her lower jaw. It grew to about the size of a tennis ball. A smaller but riskier lesion was found by CT scan on her cranium.

Now 10 months old, Molly has completed her bone growth and therefore is no longer at risk of the life threatening complications sometimes seen with CMO. With the completion of her bone growth, her constant pain subsided and she began to eat better. She has been off Rimadyl for almost a month. Once she was no longer in pain, I was able to begin real training with her. She’s coming along, although after so many months of my stopping any training or retrieves as soon as she slowed or lost interest for fear of hurting her while she was in pain, it took a few weeks for her to grasp the new rule that Mom will decide when we were done.

After being on birds for only a few days she had her first flyer last Saturday, and then on Sunday she made her test debut in the Puppy stake at Shoreline’s Sanctioned Field Trial. I would very much appreciate it if no one asks just how many entries there were in the Puppy stake , but I’m proud to say Molly took 1st place! That’s Molly in my avatar with her first pheasant. The photo was taken during training two days ago.

Thanks to everyone who has kept her in your thoughts.