The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Getting to Jump

Default Getting to Jump

My 7 month old BLM will not jump onto anything. I can't get him to hop up onto a FF table, dog stand, anything. None of these places are to high for him. He's a well built pup and they're not more than knee high up. He doesn't act as if he is scared to jump but more that he doesn't know how to. Have any of you had this problem before? If so, is it possible to teach them to jump or will it just come with age

Just the opposite! My pup at 10 weeks was jumping up on one ottoman and leaping to the next one. Keeping him DOWN off of things is the challenge.

Meredith

Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Yea right now, 5 month old BLM seems to not want to jump up on much of anything unless he has some momentum. From a stand still he doesn't seem to get it. He can jump like a jack rabbit when he running around. Just something you have to teach. So tonight we put a short platform next to the step on the four wheeler and then a block so he could get up into the seat and then into a box on the back he like to ride back there. I just kept putting treats in front of him and in the box as he climbed up, but there is one point he has to commit to jump on the seat and that took a little time. He did it about 4 times and then we quit. Little nut case has no problem jumping down as he bails over the top of the back of the box which is chest high. Not cool. I need to go out with the other two dogs and go on walks where I know there are some very short fences. Usually it's enough to be left behind that gets them to commit. Once they do it a few times its no big deal. I usually do this way before now, but one thing I forgot as he was running and jumping fine. I'm going to get a piece of black plastic culvert as something to jump over and have in yard and easy to move around. Good for no no drills later on.

At about 2 min into the video there a nice jump by a dog owned by guy I know from the UK, not super spectacular but it's a cool video and a real nice dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhvpTPGRaRY
    Bob Stewart
    Central IL.

Start with a platform elevated 4 inches, then 8 inches, then 12... and work your way up.
    Darrin Greene

Thanks Darin,

It's always simplify and get success, I get lazy and then usually have to go back and do it anyway!
    Bob Stewart
    Central IL.

Awsome uk trial looks like they can handle on all marks

Had the same issue mine wanted to climb up on everything not jump. Asked for a little help was told put a slip lead around the neck and give little tug and tell load up. Dog jumped in the back of truck like it had been doing it all along. After about 3 jumps he does it everyday now like it was never an issue.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

It's just a confidence issue. The dog doesn't realize its abilities yet. My pup had the same issue... Wouldn't jump into the bed of my truck for nothing. Finally I just put a plastic tote in front of the tailgate. I'd say "place" and get her up on the tote, then she'd jump right into the truck bed from there, each time saying "truck." Once she got there I'd give her a treat. So after about 8 or 10 repetitions of this, I pulled the tote out of the picture and said "truck." Boom... she jumped right in. Help the dog figure out that they CAN do something, and they won't be scared to try it. It also helps to follow up this exercise with some fun bumpers or taking the dog somewhere for a swim. When they make the connection that jumping into the truck (or whatever platform) equates to something fun, they'll be more inclined to jump in/on with enthusiasm.