The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Training Interference

Default Training Interference

I recently accepted a job in a new city and am staying with some family until we find a house. I brought my 6 month old lab with me. He is used to staying in a kennel during the day while I am at work, but in our current living situation that's not happening. My family, feels bad for him and lets him out when he barks or whimpers at any activity he can hear upstairs. When I come home he is running free in the yard, off lead, with other neighborhood dogs, etc. I tell him to come and he just ignores me. However, when we go and run drills in the evening, he still seems to listen. When I am home I put him on a lead and make him stay while under much distraction until I release him. My concern is- Do I need to worry that during the day he is learning one set of behavior from others and then in the evening hunting/ obedience training from me?

I think that you have answered your own question. If you think it can become a problem, it probably will be.

Just common sense.

Keith

6mo old you say? Sounds like the perfect time to ship him off to a pro for a few months while you and your family get settled.

I lost a very good young dog in similar circumstances, and I should have known better. Get a handle on this quickly.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Yes, he's learning to ignore you when he's off lead. I would be leery of having him off lead without any barriers at this age. I always tell clients never have their dog off lead unless they're 100% certain they'll come when called. Maybe communicating with the family that your pup isn't to be out of the crate when you're gone. Also, inform them that by getting him out of the crate when he whines undermines your training teaches him to whine when he's in the crate.
    OWNED BY:
    Longhorn Lacey's Boomerang "Boomer"
    CH. Brio's Jollycurl to Bravo First Over Under SH WCQ "Parker"
    Brio's Bravo to the Lookout "Cora"

Kyle Crump

I'd worry less about the training issues and more about him being out running around unfenced (or so it sounds from your post). He's gonna get killed by a car.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Kyle,

I noticed in your reply that your location is Columbus, OH. I just moved to Columbus and fee like that fish out of water when it comes to the major changes in my hunting and fishing environments/ communities. Any recommendations on good places to take the dog for some training or a retriever club to join?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I left a note on the crate yesterday and found out subsequently to my post that they left him in until 3:00, I got home at 3:30 and he didn't leave my side. Progress? Think I'll have to reinforce with them that I only get one first year for training this dog, that this is a long time dream of mine and that I can not have anything compromise it.